MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #5611
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Default Where to get Expanded Steel in DFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
i've gone through hundreds of posts this weekend and purchased everything I need except the expanded metal for the charcoal basket.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to locate some expanded metal? I tried Home Depot and they didn't have any, I called a local machine shop in Dallas and they were going to charge me $74 for a sheet that is 8" by 44", which seemed a bit high to me.

Another question just came up, if I were to purchase a barrel with a teflon coated inside, would I need to burn out the teflon or could I use some sort of cleaner? Assuming of course it would be safe to cook/eat from after cleaning out the inside.

Any opinions/recommendations would be appreciated
Got my expanded steel from metal supremarket in Ft. Worth, I had tried in dallas but Their shear had just gone down. Luckily I had to go to Ft. Worth that day anyway.

I was buying a 1/2 so I got to specify which way I wanted the opening oriented (which is with the length if you are telling them what you want).

I got 6 pcs of 8x48 9ga HRS Expanded for $6 each and 6 pca of 1/2 square tubing I'm gonna try to make T-bar handles for the baskets.

I know you could just get 1 piece if that's all you want, but you may not be able to ask for orientation. IMOHO you should get the half sheet and get it exactly the way you want. You will also have more expando ready for the other cookers you will be making for friends and relatives once they taste your 'Q.

pm me if you want more advice or help, I live in Irving, TX and already went through the search process here in the DFW area.

I'm currently working on my first two UDS drums my self. One for me and one for my son-in-law. I was given ten open top drums (some with dirt, some with cutting mud and water from a soil sample dona at a local strip mall) that I aam using to make my UDS smokers. I plan on using a couple to make high tops or also expansion rings to give more cook area without using a Dome cooker lid.

I also am getting a new neighbor who has access to tons of drums through their family countertop business. Some have had glue, don't want those, but a lot more have had onl thinner in them and they will work great for future builds.
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #5612
wayner123
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
12 x 48 is the size needed for a 55 gallon?
Yes, I have found 48" fits nicely around a 22.5" weber charcoal grate. Norco even recommends this length. The 12" can be wrapped around the grate and leave 3" below and 9" on top to make a sort of support to raise it off the bottom.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #5613
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Here are two places to get it online:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ca...ductID=EXC349F

These guys will cut it to shape for you, but keep in mind that you can't specify in which direction you want it cut, i.e. with the long axis of the diamond shapes aligned with the length of the sheet vs. across the sheet. Maybe you can call them up and specify that...

-Rodney
Not going to say you are wrong. However, i just picked up expanded metal from them in the phoenix area. When i called to put in the order he asked me before i could ask him which way i wanted it cut.

Oh by the way to the guy who was asking how much it might cost, i paid $12 bucks for mine (9X45)
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #5614
Nugget
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey My first Post on here

we have started building our First UDS

i had 2 drums both with rust out bottom in them lucky i have a mate who is a chassis builder so i got him to cut them in half with a plasma cutter and make one good drum

my first question is

ive put 2 burns on the drum but up on the top 1/3 of the drum i cant seem to burn the linning out of it

would i have to go at it with a grinder and wire wheel to get it all out

thanks luke
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #5615
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

make a good fire and lay it down! roll it!
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #5616
Nugget
Got rid of the matchlight.

thanks mate

ill give that a go tonight

the wife is going to murder me if i keep burning the green
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #5617
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

It'll come back thicker and healthier. Make sure you do the whole lawn.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #5618
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

New to the forum and i am biulding my first UDS this weekend. Quick rundown on my situation

My HOA and the Fire Department said "No way" to the burnout question. HOA also said i will get fined. So i want to get it sandblasted.

Called 8 places to get an idea on what i might pay.

4 places quoted me 40 bucks.
3 places quoted me 50 bucks
1 place quoted me 15 bucks!!!

This seems so low that i am almost skeptical. why is this guy so low. So, my question is to those of you who might know a little bit about sandblasting. If i do take it to this guy is there a way he can jack something up? This just seems to good to be true compared to the other quotes. i think i just need peace of mind from the Brethern
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #5619
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
New to the forum and i am biulding my first UDS this weekend. Quick rundown on my situation

My HOA and the Fire Department said "No way" to the burnout question. HOA also said i will get fined. So i want to get it sandblasted.

Called 8 places to get an idea on what i might pay.

4 places quoted me 40 bucks.
3 places quoted me 50 bucks
1 place quoted me 15 bucks!!!

This seems so low that i am almost skeptical. why is this guy so low. So, my question is to those of you who might know a little bit about sandblasting. If i do take it to this guy is there a way he can jack something up? This just seems to good to be true compared to the other quotes. i think i just need peace of mind from the Brethern
Are you just getting the inside done? I'd be sure to tell him that he's sandblasting 23 square feet of painted surface, down to bare steel. If he'll still do it, cool... maybe he just undervalues his time. I dunno though... the people I talked to were saying about $35 inside and out (46 square feet), so that's not too far off...

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #5620
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I finally got to do the first seasoning burn of my new UDS. Here are some pics.

Ready for seasoning

Vent Wide Open - It has been holding around 400 for about 3 hours.

I used SS hinges to hold the grates so that I could fold them up out of position when removing the ash pan and the lower grate.

Here is a pic of it with the Big Lots Grill lid. A little work is needed for a more smoke tight fit.

Here is the charcoal basket sitting on an 18" anodized aluminum pizza pan used as the ash pan.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #5621
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice build Boshizzle. You are gonna love the BGE draft door. I like the SS hinge grate support idea.

Be sure to post the pics over in the Ugly Drum Smoker Picture Gallery thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=gallery

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #5622
iSmoke
Found some matches.

Can you tell me what type of business sells the steel grating used in the charcoal basket? Not sure where to buy it. I'm in central NJ. Thanks.
iSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #5623
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool idea with the hinges...very creative!!
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #5624
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSmoke View Post
Can you tell me what type of business sells the steel grating used in the charcoal basket? Not sure where to buy it. I'm in central NJ. Thanks.
Lowes or Home Depot. Look in the area where they carry steel bar stock.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #5625
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSmoke
There are a couple sources mentioned within the last 10 messages in this thread, if you're interested in buying online.

Also, as was just mentioned here, they sell a 24" square of 3/4" expando at Home Depot for about $19. I went and checked it out, and it's only .070" thick (13 gauge). I imagine it'd last a while though. I like the way Boshizzle folded his up, and it looks like 13 gauge stuff (right Boshizzle?). It seemed thin enough to cut with large tin snips and bend by hand (with gloves).
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker