• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Beef Rouladen

Pyrotech

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today I decide to try a BBQ Beef Rouladen, it made the German side of my wife very happy...

Tradition is to sear and simmer in Beef broth, But I decided that this dish may be very tasty cooked on the grill.

First the Bacon was given a quick cook.

bbq_rouladen.jpg

While The Bacon was draining on a paper towel, I cooked up some diced Onion in the Bacon grease. and drained that on another paper towel while everything was assembled.

bbq_rouladen2.jpg

A thin slice of Sirloin Tip was treated to my Steak Seasoning Blend.

bbq_rouladen3.jpg

A coating of a spicy beer Mustard was applied to the Beef.

bbq_rouladen4.jpg

Two strips of Bacon and a Kosher Dill Pickle was added to the top.

bbq_rouladen6.jpg

The Cooked Onions are next on the list.

bbq_rouladen7.jpg

The ends where folded over first, and then rolled length wise. This was to help seal everything in place. I then ran 2 Skewers through to secure everything so it would not unwrap while cooking.

Then another thing coat of the Steak Seasoning on the completed roll and on to the smoker for around 90 minutes or so at 300(ish).

bbq_rouladen8.jpg

After a short rest, It was sliced into about 1/4" slices.

So was it any Good or do you wish you had Seared n Simmered.? :loco:

So was it any Good or do you wish you had Seared n Simmered.? :loco:

I never had it the "tradional way" So I don't have anything to compare it to. However I thought it was really good and will be making it again.

Man that looks good, was it tough?

it wasn't tough, but it wasn't fall apart tender either. Next time I may let it sit in the fridge after rolling, and give the vinegar in the mustard a chance to tenderize the beef a bit more.

If I may. I would pound the meat alittler thinner, dice the pickle and then serve with spaetzle. My two cents.

I've done it the traditional way and part of the benefit of the simmering process is that the meat gets very tender. I did think about searing it on the grill and then simmering it, but haven't tried that yet.

That looks dang fine! Something I'd def like to try.

Back