Building an offset- how to determine size of the firebox?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My dad got an old steel tank (I don't know what it used to hold, but wasn't oil or anything like that and it's safe to cut). I need to double check but I think it's 24x36; it's not very long and it's pretty big around considering the length.

Anyways, we want to build a little backyard cooker with it. How do you determine the size of the firebox relative to the size of the cooker? Is there any science to it or do we just build what we think is big enough? We already a couple really nice cookers so we'll probably end up giving it away to a friend when we're done (if it works OK). We just want to build this thing to practice since we're interested in building a larger trailer rig later on.

There is a spreadsheet floating around here on this site and others that will help you figure it out. If you click on the link to my build in my sig, it's in there somewhere. I just looked for it on my computer, but I've lost it again. At any rate, the general rule is that the firebox is about a third of the volume of the cook chamber. Good luck with your build and keep us posted! We love to see pictures!

Back