MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #556
MT4Runner
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
plasma cutter
If you don't know what's been in the barrel, and you're using plas or a gas axe, fill the barrel with exhaust fumes from your car or purge it with your MIG welder shield gas--CO2 or C25.

(ASSuming if you have a plasma, you probably have or have access to a MIG!)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #557
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
If you don't know what's been in the barrel, and you're using plas or a gas axe, fill the barrel with exhaust fumes from your car or purge it with your MIG welder shield gas--CO2 or C25.

(ASSuming if you have a plasma, you probably have or have access to a MIG!)
What fun is that?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #558
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

hey roger this is the thread i told you about enjoy if you need any info call me

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #559
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Alrighty....after reading the entire thread, I'm stoked and ready to find a barrel and whatever parts I need to get my own UDS project going. WOOHOO!!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #560
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I'm gonna try to give mine a paint job and beer bottle opener today. Hopefully posting pics tonite.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #561
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker View Post
I'm gonna try to give mine a paint job and beer bottle opener today. Hopefully posting pics tonite.
motley que mod..
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #562
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

i am making my second one right now

Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #563
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Im off to HD!
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #564
MT4Runner
Knows what a fatty is.

My first UDS:

I scored a Weber kettle off Craigslist in Clarkston, WA on Thursday, and a barrel from work on Wednesday. Started this yesterday.

The Barrel:
Here's a great idea to cut the top off. Flip the barrel over so what you want for your top sits on a smooth floor--preferably concrete. Hold your mini angle grinder so the guard sits on the floor. This will hold a cutting disc about 1/4" off the floor....or 1/4" down on the ring. Grind through the outer layer of lid all the way around the drum. Flip it back over, and you have a smooth, level cut, without having to buy a drum deheader or building a jig. Tap upward on the lid with an old screwdriver and a mallet and drive it off the barrel.

Torched the bottom holes with the plasma.

Burned the barrel last night. Not enough air gets in the bottom holes to get a really hot fire. I noticed that by tipping the barrel over at a ~30º angle, the fresh air comes in the low side, and the flame/heat runs up the high side, and lets the paint on the inside blister in 5-10 minutes. Roll the barrel around after it blisters where it's at, and in 1/2 hour, you can get heat to all sides.

Hit the barrel with a knotted wire wheel in my 4.5" angle grinder (4.5" angle grinders are on sale at Harbor Freight right now for $16.99. Get the orange ones; I've been beating on mine for a year, and it's still going strong. It's noisier than my DeWalt, but 20% the price.)

Some paint wasn't all the way off, so I hit that with my oxy-acetylene torch, and the remaining paint came right off.

Cut 1.25" x 1.25" x 0.125 (1 1/4 x 1 1 /4" x 1/8") angle into 2" pieces. Welded them inside the drum.

The Grill:
Used the one from my Weber donor. Duh! :D

Still need a second grill. Here's the first in the lower spot.

The Charcoal Basket:
Used the charcoal grate from my Weber grill; welded 3" tall 1/2" pipe legs to the grill. Set the legs so they'd fit through the ash pan from the Weber grill. Still needs sides.

Needs barrel handles and a thermometer.
Will oil the inside tomorrow.

Still trying to decide whether to oil or paint the outside. Kettle lid is a nice charcoal black.

Last edited by MT4Runner; 10-22-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #565
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Hit the barrel with a knotted wire wheel in my 4.5" angle grinder (4.5" angle grinders are on sale at Harbor Freight right now for $16.99. Get the orange ones; I've been beating on mine for a year, and it's still going strong. It's noisier than my DeWalt, but 20% the price.).
The 7.5" orange grinder with the built-in hand guard is the one I got. Well worth a little more $ for a lot more value.

Has anyone else just oiled the outside?

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #566
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

PS: Here's a link for a $10 grinder but I'd still buy the 7.5'/$30 one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95578

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #567
pepper76usa
Found some matches.

Ok, you'll never guess what I did this last weekend. I took my "Geto Style" UDS to a KCBS comp in Canton GA . This was our first comp and let me tell you it was great! We placed 25 out of 38 teams overall. I came in 17 with my pulled pork cooked on the UDS! This is a great smoker. We also got 12 on the brisket, not bad for our first comp. Just thought I would let Ya'll know. Here is some pic's of the turn in boxes. We Also had the #6 Sauce out of 62. What a great weekend. Now I have to go sleep for a week. Thanks for you guys help with everything.
Imported Photos 00048.jpg
Imported Photos 00051.jpg
Imported Photos 00054.jpg
Imported Photos 00057.jpg
pepper76usa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #568
MT4Runner
Knows what a fatty is.

Pepper, all four smoked on the UDS, or did you use your "ghetto offset" for some?
Any other UDS'es at the comp?

Nice work on the presentation!!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #569
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper76usa View Post
Ok, you'll never guess what I did this last weekend. I took my "Geto Style" UDS to a KCBS comp in Canton GA . This was our first comp and let me tell you it was great! We placed 25 out of 38 teams overall. I came in 17 with my pulled pork cooked on the UDS! This is a great smoker. We also got 12 on the brisket, not bad for our first comp. Just thought I would let Ya'll know. Here is some pic's of the turn in boxes. We Also had the #6 Sauce out of 62. What a great weekend. Now I have to go sleep for a week. Thanks for you guys help with everything.
Attachment 10659
Attachment 10660
Attachment 10661
Attachment 10662
Way to go pepper! Did my first comp with the UDS's too! Didn't do as well as you did but they cruised none the less! Keep up the good work!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #570
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, that's one long farkin' thread, 38 pages (plus the extra links)! I took a bunch of notes (hope that I can make some sense out of them in the morning [beer mod]). I've got to figure out if I want the 3 or 4 openings 1/2" to 3/4" or to go for the single 2" to 3" exhaust pipe. With my back, I think that the single, larger, taller intake may be the answer. Anyway, here's hoping that tomorrow is the "burn out the barrel" day so that I can get this project on the road.
I got the drum from Brother Jeff (Smoookin') at the bash last weekend, and I know that he wants to make sure that the gift wasn't wasted, so I had better get with the program, right? Wish me luck, I'll need it.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker