MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bandera Brisket Question

So I’m trying a “hot and fast” brisket for a second time on my Bandera. The first time was a failure. (Dry, terrible brisket.)
Today I’m trying again, but it’s 32 degrees outside. It’s shockingly difficult to keep high temperatures. I’ve gone through 4 splits in 1 1/2 hours just to keep the temperature at 260-275.
Is that normal? I guess I won’t be able to hit “hot and fast”. I started with a very full chimney of charcoal, and then added 2 splits. I’ve already added 2 more.

In the first hot & fast brisket I had temperature swings up to 400 degrees. (Oops.).
This time I’m not sure I’ll even be able to hit 300. I think that should be great for cooking a brisket. I’m just not sure “hot” or “fast” will be included in my hot & fast brisket cook....

Any suggestions? Any “don’t worry, this is perfectly normal, you’ll be fine”’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Dgrudus
Found some matches.

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. To try and keep temps high I also added a few pieces of charcoal with and in between adding splits. Not as much temp spike. This was my first HF and it turned out OK.
Dgrudus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

LOL. And I closed the door, and now I’m spiking over 350 on the dial, and 305 on my probe. Man, I need to practice on this thing. I love it!! I just need to get good at it.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Dgrudus
Found some matches.

You are fine even at that temp. Xmas music and ‘holiday’ eggnog are acceptable at 10am - just enjoy the ride.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrudus View Post
You are fine even at that temp. Xmas music and ‘holiday’ eggnog are acceptable at 10am - just enjoy the ride.

It’s amazing to me how relaxing this is. After a long work week, I woke up early on a Saturday to get everything running, and I couldn’t be happier. I have a 14 pound brisket for just my girlfriend and me right now. I did this for no other reason than I felt like smoking something today. First snow of the year, smoking a brisket...life is good.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Man, my Bandera trailer has only been used for sausages and stuff I can smoke with pans underneath as I am still messing with it and don't want fat accumulating on where I need to weld. But I still like throwing splits into a firebox and watching the smoke come out of the stacks.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Man, my Bandera trailer has only been used for sausages and stuff I can smoke with pans underneath as I am still messing with it and don't want fat accumulating on where I need to weld. But I still like throwing splits into a firebox and watching the smoke come out of the stacks.

I want to try sausages next. I got some casings and I have a pork shoulder to grind up, I just need to find some time to do it! (...I guess all day today while I’m tending the brisket fire would be an option...)

Old 12-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Dgrudus
Found some matches.

How did it turn out?

Old 12-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart39 View Post
I have a 14 pound brisket for just my girlfriend and me right now.
Hell yeah, y'all know how to EAT!!!

Last edited by Monkey Uncle; 12-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: cain't spell
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Probably my best brisket I've made. I'd give it 7 1/2 out of 10.
I had a few spikes. I had to leave for an hour and a half (kid's basketball game) and it was down below 200. But in general I was right from 255 to 300. On by 8am, finished by 3:30pm.
Flavor was wonderful. Point was amazing. Flat was very good. (Obviously could be moister but it was quite good.). Proves I can do a same-day brisket instead of my normal kamado overnight brisket! I was extremely happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

That looks pretty dope. I’ve only warmed up a brisket in mine so far.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice!
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
neloco
Found some matches.

I have an older ok joes vertical roasting oven that is similar to the bandera. With mine I get the best results if I have a small hot fire. I cut my splits in half and feed it about every 30 minutes. I think the main door draws in a lot of cold air so I leave the stack open then close the intake until the smoke stops coming out around the door. then open intake just a little. that seems to reduce the intake of cold air around the door.

Jon
neloco is offline   Reply With Quote