Stainless steel charcoal fire grate bge

ALLENY

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the stainless steel charcoal fire grate made for the bge? The same company that offers the nomex gasket also sells the grate as well. They say it makes it easier to light the bge and get it to higher temperatures faster. Does anyone have an oppinion on this?

Has anyone tried the stainless steel charcoal fire grate made for the bge? The same company that offers the nomex gasket also sells the grate as well. They say it makes it easier to light the bge and get it to higher temperatures faster. Does anyone have an oppinion on this?

If you're talking about the grate underneath the lump, then yes, I bought one a couple of months ago with some reward points.

Just by virtue of where my BGE is, I don't always get great air flow until winter when we get the North winds. As such, I figured I'd give it a try.

It seems to help as I get better airflow and faster fires. It's not a huge difference but it helped me.

One issue you'll find is more small pieces of lump will find their way through the grate. I always mix up the leftover lump after a fire when I'm doing the next one. So, you have to be a little more diligent in cleaning out the ash and pieces.

I have had the High-Que fire grate for about 6 months now. I love it. It gets the temp to blazing temps fast and also does great for low and slows (I see no difference between the original fire grate and the High-Que one during low and slows). I have done numerous low and slows with the High-Que and see no difference in the amount of lump I used. Maintaining constant temps with it was dead on. My last low and slow was last weekend doing 2 pork butts and I smoked them for 18 hours at 235-240 grid and still had a lot of lump left (I filled the lump to a little over the fire ring and had about 1/3 of the lump left after 18 hours).

The High-Que blows the original one out of the water for high temps and getting high temps fast. No comparison. I also see no difference with the amount of lump I use in high temps either. It is the same for both. The High-Que was delivered fast and is built to last. Very high quality.

Last night I left my Egg going full throttle and forgot about it for 30 mins (was watching a game). I came back and the Egg was at about 1,300 degrees. I was doing a TRex steak and put the steaks on for 60 secs (I usually do it for 90 secs a side depending on thickness and temp) a side using my GrillGrates (love the GrillGrates-highly recommend these also) because the temp was so high. Steaks (flat iron steak--I love flat irons) turned out great (used Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick rub and cooked to medium rare). My point is the High-Que did a great job and performed well at those high temps.

Naked Whiz's review on it was spot on and I can also highly recommend it.

I personally wouldn't waste the money to buy one, I've never had a problem with the stock grate.

I've been using one for about 4 months... Didn't have a problem before but thought I'd try an new toy. Gets the Egg up to temp (any temp) very quickly. Never clogs. Only drawback is that it allows pea sized burning lump to fall below the grate and continue to burn. Makes the bottom of the Egg very hot and necessitates leaving the screen closed unless you watch it constantly. If they would narrow the distance between the bars slightly, it would be perfect.

Thank you for the imput. I think i will order the steel grate. I am also thinking of ordering the grill grates as well.

Back