Help with my first brisket on MAK

Temp won’t be a problem. Wind is a bigger concern. Keep it out of the wind if you can at all. You WILL go through a lot of pellets at that temp. It’s easy to run out earlier than think. Don’t ask me how I know.

So if I fill the hopper at 10pm should it be ok until 6am? Wind isnt gonna be a problem, it will be under my 3 sided carport.

Ok, so fill me in on this 135 degree magic number for holding as well. I assume this is the temp that bad bacteria grows?

So if I fill the hopper at 10pm should it be ok until 6am? Wind isnt gonna be a problem, it will be under my 3 sided carport.

Ok, so fill me in on this 135 degree magic number for holding as well. I assume this is the temp that bad bacteria grows?

I have done many overnight low n slow cooks on my MAK. Fill it at 10pm and up by 6.... never an issue. As to the “magic number”... it’s 140°. If holding food for an extended period of time, you want to make sure that the internal temp does not dip below 140°. You will keep family, friends and yourself safe by following this rule :)

I have done many overnight low n slow cooks on my MAK. Fill it at 10pm and up by 6.... never an issue. As to the “magic number”... it’s 140°. If holding food for an extended period of time, you want to make sure that the internal temp does not dip below 140°. You will keep family, friends and yourself safe by following this rule :)

Perfect!
Thanks for your help.

Have another question; I am thinking about starting out from 10pm to 6am with lumberjack hickory pellets. Then at 6am switch to a competition blend that I don’t really care for. It’s not bad but just not much of a smoke flavor. I would think at 8 hours in it would already have the max smoke flavor it’s going to get. Am I wrong? I only have a few bags of hickory left and a few of the comp blend so I want to use it up.

Have another question; I am thinking about starting out from 10pm to 6am with lumberjack hickory pellets. Then at 6am switch to a competition blend that I don’t really care for. It’s not bad but just not much of a smoke flavor. I would think at 8 hours in it would already have the max smoke flavor it’s going to get. Am I wrong? I only have a few bags of hickory left and a few of the comp blend so I want to use it up.

You are fine doing that, but me, I'm a kiss(keep it simple stupid) kind of man. I'd just mix the two together from the start. :mrgreen:

I’ve smoked briskets for 30+ years on my wood burners, but started using a Mak about a year and a half ago. Here’s how I do it based on my personal preferences.

In order to compensate for the lighter smoke flavour of the pellets, I put the brisket on the smoker cold from the fridge and wet from whatever binder (water, mustard, pickle juice) I use to stick the rub. These two factors cause the meat to take more smoke in the beginning.

As you asked originally, I do program the controller to run on Smoke setting for the first 4 hours, which maximizes smoke production of the pellets. I have it programmed to then shift to 225 or 250 (depending upon how long I have) until the meat probe hits 203. Then I have it programmed to drop to 200 and continue running until I stop it.

As the probe reads higher and higher, I might take the temp and probe, and manually adjust temp or stop it when the time comes. But if it hits 203 while I’m still sleeping, or busy, the programming will kick in, drop temp to 200, and hold it until I out there. I’ve found 203 to be a fairly predictable IT for good, consistent results the way I cook.

I plan for 1.25-1.5 hrs/lb, then add a couple hours just in case. Unlike many on this forum, I use holding for the convenience of marrying up cooking and serving times, but I don’t plan to hold for several hours intentionally. In my experience the brisket just needs 30-45 min to vent and relax before slicing. If I do need to hold for a few hours I wrap in towels and put in a cooler.

Re: prep and cook, I don’t inject, marinade, mop, or wrap. IMHO the point of injection is to add flavour, so while I’ll inject turkey or a pork loin, brisket doesn’t need it. Marinade would minimally affect a brisket IMHO, and after mopping briskets for years and watching the mop roll off to mess up the bottom of the smoker, I concluded it’s a long run for a short slide so I stopped wasting my time. I never wrap because I want to smoke rather than braise and I prefer the consistency of the meat, particularly the bark, when it’s naked all the way.

One reason I suggest you try my method is it’s simplicity. If you’re trying to figure out YOUR method to achieve brisket results YOU like, this simplicity — no injection, no marinade, no mop, no baste, no wrap, no foil, no B.P., no hold — minimizes the variables that affect the result. As you gain experience and dial it in and get results you like, you then can experiment by adding and adjusting variables one at a time. Wrap in foil, for example, and you’ll see the difference because you’ll know what it’s like unwrapped.

In any event, good luck and have fun — remember, it’s not magic or rocket science, just smokin meat . . . .

Great post^^. Sometimes going back to basics and KISS does wonders!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whether using wood splits in my woodburner or pellets in my Mak, by tasting the food I can only ever distinguish amongst three categories: fruitwood (apple, cherry, etc.); mesquite; and other hardwoods (pecan, hickory, oak, etc.). After smoking a brisket for 10-12 hours my palate can’t distinguish between pecan and hickory, for example.

So I wouldn’t get hung up about using various pellets within one of those categories. Just my pov . . . .

When I first got my Mak I would keep it on smoke setting for a couple hours and then bump the temp up. Now days I don’t do that. I typically do 200 deg top rack for ribs and 225 top rack for roasts straight through. I use to also use the controller and meat probe to its fullest potential making upwards of four automatic temp changes based on meat temp or time. I don’t do that now either. Never really made a difference in smoke flavor or outcome. I think as long as fan speed stays at 60% which is its lowest speed then you will get plenty of smoke flavor. Those temps are smoke to 245 deg. I also don’t wrap now either. Meat comes out perfectly regardless.
I guess what I’m trying to say is my Mak has made me lazy lol

Thanks everyone! I am taking all of this in and will be sure to take pics.

Ok, I just got done trimming it and my gosh this was a fatty brisket. It started at 14.8 lbs and I trimmed 5.7 lbs of fat off her. And the bad thing is, I left some on but I will admit I trim aggressive. So right now she is a little over 9lbs. It seems at this weight it may only take 12 hours at 1.25 hours per lb. I think if I start it at 10pm tonight I may be done way to early as we want to eat at 5pm. I plan on running her at smoke for 4 hours then up to 225 or 250. What’s your thoughts?

Would I be better off getting up at 4am?

Personally, I’d still start at 10pm, but that’s just me. I don’t mind them getting done early as I will leave it out for about 45 mins uncovered to completely stop the cooking process after it comes off the smoker, then I place it covered in my oven with the temp set to 170° til about 20 mins before serving time. They stay nice and hot and I find them to continue to tenderize a bit more.

Personally, I’d still start at 10pm, but that’s just me. I don’t mind them getting done early as I will leave it out for about 45 mins uncovered to completely stop the cooking process after it comes off the smoker, then I place it covered in my oven with the temp set to 170° til about 20 mins before serving time. They stay nice and hot and I find them to continue to tenderize a bit more.

They don’t dry out leaving them in the oven for a long time? I am probably looking at it being done 5- 7 hours before we want to eat if I start at 10pm

They don’t dry out leaving them in the oven for a long time? I am probably looking at it being done 5- 7 hours before we want to eat if I start at 10pm

In an aluminum pan and covered tight with foil...nope. You could always put a cup of apple in the pan before you cover if you want. Think of top notch bbq restaurants... they hold those briskets for hours in a low temp/moist environment and pull/slice as needed.

In an aluminum pan and covered tight with foil...nope. You could always put a cup of apple in the pan before you cover if you want. Think of top notch bbq restaurants... they hold those briskets for hours in a low temp/moist environment and pull/slice as needed.

Good point!
Thanks

I find the longer the hold the better. 7 hours at 170 isn't long at all. I've done 12-14 hours in a 170 oven. If you have a roaster oven use that (ninja recommended). I vent for 15 minutes and double wrap in foil then into the roaster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

just remember that a hold of 170 deg in a humid environment improves the tenderness and juiciness of the brisket. 170 deg for 7 hours in a dry environment makes jerky. So if you are going to hold just keep the humidity high either in a roaster or wrapped in an oven or pellet grill.

Good looking brisket. I've only tried one on my egg with the Travis Method.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Back