MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoke ? re: Hot-n-Fast Weber kettle

Yesterday, I let the Weber indirect magic do it's thing on a 10lb bag of leg quarters by putting to use a couple of small rib racks. The legs were done in only about an hour and I got the best skin ever. However, I ran into an issue I haven't had on my kettles or wsm cooking low-n-slow.

My queastion is... do any of ya'll have tips for getting good smoke when you've got a pile of charcoal that's heavily engaged for HH on the kettle?

After lighting a chimney's worth of Kbb piled on one side with my weedburner, I put one well-seasoned chunk of pecan on, and waited and waited for good smoke. The smoke just poured on, but I finally put the chicken on the grill thinking it was just a matter of time and the Missus doesn't like chicken to be late for supper.

Well, the smoke just wouldn't lighten up, so I pulled the chunk off only a little while later. The smoke flavor wasn't too harsh, but it definately got some bad smoke in the little time I let it roll.

Is this just something that goes with kettle cooking when you have the vents wide open and really hot coals? If I can't come up with something I'll probably just settle for the flavor from the charcoal next time. Just don't have this issue smoking chicken low-n-slow. Should I put my wood in a smoking box or what? Appreciate any tips.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

I have 2 of those charcoal holders that form fit to the radius on the inside of my 22.5. I use about 3/4 chimney of charcoal split between the two holders. I use small chunks they tend to burn up fairly fast so if I want more smoke I open the lid flip the side of the grill open and add a small chunk to each side.
I buy wood chunks at Academy and I will still take an ax and cut them down to about 2in long then 1in by 1in.
Find I can regulate the amount of smoke I want this way.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the feedback, man.

My pecan chunk was about 3/4 fist size, but I'm not so sure that the larger size was the issue. I've used chunks that large before with lownslow cooks and didn't have rolling dense smoke. The charcoal was really stoked, though. That's what was different about this cook. Just trying to get crisp chicken skin, AND I DID.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

high heat = faster burn. maybe stick small chunks in a foil packet and just put a few holes in it.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

When I use the Weber, about the minimum temp I will use it is around 275 and up.
If want lower I use the offset.
The Weber is an efficient cooker, with the grill that flips open on each side its always easy to add a few pieces of wood or briquettes if needed.
I have been practicing St. Louis on mine and they do very well at 275.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Too big a chunk of wood...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
high heat = faster burn. maybe stick small chunks in a foil packet and just put a few holes in it.
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking.

Any issues with foil fumes on REALLY hot coals though? One reason my charcoal pile was so hot that in addition to the vents being wide open, my Slide-aside lid holder allowed a gap on that side of the grill. Coals were stoked, and temps maxed at around 400*, and I guess that's why the skin on the legs was so good.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

No foil needed, just smaller pieces...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I'll try that, Jeff, but don't they just burn up faster?

I can get sweet smoke on a stickburner with a clean burning fire, and can also get pretty good smoke on charcoal cooking low and slow if I wait for it. I probably just need to remove my Slide-aside lid holder next time so the fire won't get quite as much air.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will32Rod View Post
I have 2 of those charcoal holders that form fit to the radius on the inside of my 22.5. I use about 3/4 chimney of charcoal split between the two holders. I use small chunks they tend to burn up fairly fast so if I want more smoke I open the lid flip the side of the grill open and add a small chunk to each side.
I buy wood chunks at Academy and I will still take an ax and cut them down to about 2in long then 1in by 1in.
Find I can regulate the amount of smoke I want this way.
I do about the same thing, but I don't look for that nice blue smoke when I'm cooking hot and fast. I think that you need a heavier smoke because the meat isn't going to be in it that long. What you want to avoid is a dark smoke that means that your wood is burning, rather than smoldering. I'm just a back yarder, but that is what works for me.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
I'll try that, Jeff, but don't they just burn up faster?
I use little sticks about 1"X3" buried in the unlit coals-

since this pic was taken I have started standing them on end between the briqs rather than laying them down, that way I don't get too many lit briqs at once.
I use 4 or 5 pieces per cook on a butt
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
troytime
Full Fledged Farker

i do my chicken the same way as you, and have encountered the same problem

now when i do it, iuse chips instead of chunks. I soak them, and wrap them in foil with a small hole punctured.
I've had better luck leaving the foil pack on top of the grates above the charcoal - but i pile the charcoal pretty high.
troytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

All I cook on is a kettle and I can run cooks up to 350F and down to 225F with good smoke. I use chunks about half of my fist size, which would be around 2x3, I bury them in the coals for most things, although, for pork butts, I will also put them on the grate, over the heat and let them smoulder. I use primarily apple, cherry and peach, although I also have used oak, pecan and manzanita to good effect.

I bank the charcoal or use a modified ring of fire method, I have had good success running hotter cooks with the banked method, the MROF method gives me much better long cooks at 250F to 270F. I do not like chips as they ignite too fast and I do not like opening the kettle. I really try to cook at least an hour without opening the kettle and I have found dry chunks to be the best method for me.

My MORF setup...

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I normally don't link externally like this anymore, but, here is the method explained, I can run this from 225F to 300F in my 22.5" kettle.
http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/201...xperiment.html

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by troytime View Post
I've had better luck leaving the foil pack on top of the grates above the charcoal - but i pile the charcoal pretty high.
I'll have to try that. Thanks.

Tags
weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods