hav a Brisket....with pron!

hav

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sooooo…After my first and last brisket see (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61626)

I thought I should try again. I purchased a small flat about 4 or 5lbs. I set up the Performer for indirect including a water pan underneath the meat. Used KF regular with chunks of Hickory.

I got the temps going up high between 350° and 375°. Yes, I’m trying a High Heat Brisket…Just because of time.

Got a rub recipe from About dot com which included;

· 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
· 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
· 2 teaspoons paprika
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
· 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Slapped the Flat on uncovered at 1PM
At about 2:30PM the internal temp reached 170° so I wrapped it with Orange Juice and put it back in. Wow, that was fast!

At about 4:00pm the internal was 210° according to the probe. I did not get that ‘Butta’ feeling however it was close and I didn’t want it to overcook. I pulled it, wrapped it again in foil and then in towels and in the cooler. I took it out about an hour later.

It was a LOT better than my last try…The meat was tender, the bark was still surprisingly crusty and I had enough of the au jus for the plated product.

Sorry no pron of the set-up…but I think the finished pics should be good enough.

Enough of this whole ‘reading & writing’ thing on to the Show!

DSC07530.jpg

DSC07534.jpg

DSC07538.jpg

DSC07539.jpg

Plated with boiled potatoes and sweet plantains…yum!
DSC07540.jpg

Delicious!

Looks good Hav! Juicy.

Looks great! One of the things I discovered when doing my high heat brisket experiment this weekend, was to ignore internal temp readings when the brisket is foiled. I don't know what causes it, but my guess is that the close proximity to the high heat steam causes false temp readings on your meat.
I was getting very high readings on my internal meat probe while it was foiled, but then when I de-foiled (is that a word?), the internal temps slowly creeped back down by about 10 degrees. I never tried opening the foil and checking temps with my thermapen, but I will next time.
Brisket looks great, thanks for sharing!

I'd be all over that!

On the blurry pic.....were you shaking because you were trying to resist the urge to reach down and snag another tasty morsel? :)

My last brisket tasted good and it was high heat cook. I've never put any pan under it, just put fat down. Yours looks tasty also.

Brisket looks great, thanks for sharing!

Thanks to you and your posts about the high heat thing...otherwise there would have been a spatchcocked chicken for dinner tonight...

On the blurry pic.....were you shaking because you were trying to resist the urge to reach down and snag another tasty morsel? :)

Caught that huh? It was my daughter (5yrs old) she wanted to take a picture...I thought it looked kind of 'artsy' you know...it's all about the kids! :rolleyes:

Great looking brisket. Looks like high heat is the way to go. :-D

Thanks guys, I did the High Heat, purely for the time constraints... But the end product was great.

Looks good. I know I am a newbie compared to the veterans around here with the Brisket. I will have to try the fast and easy method next time. I still have about 6 of them left from last months sale.

Back