MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Judging question

I plan to take a judging class as soon as one is available in my area, but so far nothing is on the schedule.

In the mean time, could you guys/gals give me some tips on what they are looking for? Specifically, I'm confused about the following:

How do they judge tenderness for chicken?
Are they informed about the different types of entries they may see? Burnt ends, for example, could throw off a judge that has never seen anything but slices.
How does the brisket "pull" test work? Is there a one, two or whatever second count before the meat pulls apart, or is it just whether it does not or happens way too fast?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

One will never know, I think I should take a class also, because I do not get it.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Lippy
On the road to being a farker

I took a class at the Jack. Learned alot. All of your guestions will be answered.
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

They are looking for garnish, messy sauce and untrimmed thighs.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
I plan to take a judging class as soon as one is available in my area, but so far nothing is on the schedule.

In the mean time, could you guys/gals give me some tips on what they are looking for? Specifically, I'm confused about the following:

Are they informed about the different types of entries they may see? Burnt ends, for example, could throw off a judge that has never seen anything but slices.
How does the brisket "pull" test work? Is there a one, two or whatever second count before the meat pulls apart, or is it just whether it does not or happens way too fast?

Thanks

Are you avaiable to do classes...Sorry, more info here than the CBJ class I took!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Have you read the sticky at the top of the Competition BBQ forum? It's got some good info in it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14263

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Westexbbq

The class will be very informative and most likely clarify your questions.
It's fun too.
All as per above.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

The class is definately worth taking. Rubbery chicken skin will lower tenderness scores
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
I took a class at the Jack. Learned alot. All of your guestions will be answered.
Lippy,
Did you take the class this year? I was fortunate enough to teach it this year. If you did, I hope you enjoyed it. I had a great time. Mike and Theresa Lake and their crew did a superb job on the entry trays!

Bunny

Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post

Thanks
There should be some superb classes around your area with teachers Mike and Theresa Lake in 2009.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am trying to get in the one on 11/15/2008 in MD. I hope they get back to me.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

You'll know the good food from the bad! They might leave a tooth pic in the box, put some red tip lettuce in the box, wrong garnish, throw ribs in your box without bones in them, 5 pieces of meat instead of 6, meat not cut/ sliced all the way ect, ect. Read through the KCBS rules. You'll get more training judging lots of contest.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Each organization has slightly different guidelines, so it depends on which one you want to judge for. If you are talking about KCBS, then here is a link to info on a judging class in Shannon, which I think is only a couple of hours away from you.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=...2&id=1531&db=k

In the meantime though,
Chicken should be moist and juicy...that is pretty much it...I was told not to judge the skin for tenderness, only for flavor. Having said that, I know a lot of judges DO mark down for rubbery skin.

After only a few comps, most judges have seen nearly everything. Even if something does surprise us though, we are still judging based on taste and tenderness. If someone included burnt ends that are tough and chewy or fatty, they will likely be marked down, but if they were tender and tasty, we would still give good scores.

The brisket test is pretty simple...the meat should give some resistance when pulled, but still be able to easily be pulled apart. You just sort of get the feel for when it is enough.

I hope this helped somewhat, but the class should fill in any gaps.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #14
stlgreg
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

In the meantime though,
Chicken should be moist and juicy...that is pretty much it...I was told not to judge the skin for tenderness, only for flavor. Having said that, I know a lot of judges DO mark down for rubbery skin.
Thats weird, I was told the opposite.
We were told if the chicken is presented with skin, the skin should be also be considered in the score. They also said if you do not like skin to at least taste it.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Each organization has slightly different guidelines, so it depends on which one you want to judge for. If you are talking about KCBS, then here is a link to info on a judging class in Shannon, which I think is only a couple of hours away from you.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=...2&id=1531&db=k
Thanks - that must have just been put up recently as I've been checking often. Shannon is definitely a distance I'm cool with.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote