Lets talk wood...

bearohs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have a SS2 gravity fed.. been tinkering with it for a while, and feel very confident using it.

So I tried a load of cherry wood chunks with it. While it was a unique flavor, I am not sure if its the right profile for me.

So - was wondering, if you all could help suggest.

Oak isn't hard to find round here, and I got a good hookup not far from my office. Was going to go pecan. Maybe hickory.

I use to be a pellet head.. but the pellets had little change in taste. Im betting these changes will be noticeable for sure.

I think the cherry has a slight floral taste.. In chicken breasts and pork butts its noticeable for sure.

I can't tell much difference in woods in the food except Mesquite. I've tried Cherry, Apple n Orange several times and don't see much difference and they cost more. Pecan about same too. I use Hickory n Oak mostly.

Oak, hickory mostly. Will stock up on cherry when I can, adds a nice color and I think my palate can taste it a bit.

i can taste the cherry but its just too blah for me. maybe i like a spicey taste.

Hickory it is..

Keep in mind I use a few chunks per 2 hours..

I use about 20 chunks in 8-10 hrs. Mixed all thru basket in UDS

I'm going to recommend some pecan. Just me but it's a nice "in the middle" between hickory and oak. You will know mesquite cause that one hits you!

I like the pecan as well,it's not too strong and seems to add good color. If I want to use something that's a bit lighter, I like chunks of apple wood

I like cherry with butts and briskets, pecan works with anything and hickory is always a great choice for pork and poultry. We also burn mulberry, oak, peach and apple depending on our mood and food. Finding the ones you like is part of the journey!

Your fruit woods aren't going to be as "harsh" of a flavor change from the different types. If you are looking for just a nice even smoke flavor, Apple is usually a good place to start. IMHO cherry is a good wood to add a deep reddish color to the smoke ring and bark, especially on pork (ribs specifically).

The hardwoods (oak, hickory, mesquite) are what can add a greater flavor change to the meat. To my palate, oak imparts an earthy, almost dirty (in a good way) flavor. Hickory to me, gives a nutty flavor. And mesquite, gives a spicy hint that can be overdone way to easily.

Personally, most of my cooks involve the use of hickory, apple, and cherry. Either each alone or in some kind of pairing or combination. Like for butts, I've become a big fan of an apple cherry combo. For ribs, I go straight cherry. And hickory gets thrown into the mix whenever I want a little extra smoke flavor kick or am cooking several cuts at once.

Personally I am very particular to my wood/meat combo.These combos make me hungry thinking about them.

pork-apple typically, sometimes cherry if that is what I have on hand
chicken-pecan
beef-oak, more specifically bourbon barrel oak. If you like oak with your beef, bourbon barrel wood will make you always want it. I just bought a 10# box last week.

I mainly use hickory. Sometimes I'll use pecan if I'm looking for a more subtle smoke flavor. My palate is not a fan of mesquite.

I can't tell much difference in woods in the food except Mesquite. I've tried Cherry, Apple n Orange several times and don't see much difference and they cost more. Pecan about same too. I use Hickory n Oak mostly.

With you 100%.

In order of what I use most often... Pecan, post oak (white), mesquite and hickory. Pecan, post oak and hickory have similar flavors with some very subtle back notes. All are pretty mild in pure smoke flavor, with hickory being the strongest and post oak the mildest. Mesquite has a unique pungent flavor that I really like. The only reason I don't use more of it is availability. It also takes longer for the smoke to clean up on first light and really needs the splits hot on load (or already lit if using it in chunk form) to avoid a lot of dirty smoke. I have all four of those woods in my pile, so most of the time I am mixing them as I go. Since there is a lot more pecan in the pile, that tends to be the most used.

Cherry is my go to wood for everything. I like that you can taste the smoke but compliments other flavors. You have to build on the flavor for it to really work. The sauce and rub have to compliment the smoke and enhance the meat not overwhelm it. You have to still taste the meat. If you can't taste the meat and it is overwhelmed then why not just eat wood covered in dry rub and sauce? The flavor of meat such as pork needs to be the main event and everything else is there to compliment it. My opinion is cherry does that nicely.

Sorry, just to understand: post oak = white oak ? Do I get it?

Post oak is part of the white oak family and is not found everywhere that traditional white oak is found. It is harder than what you would normally just call white oak, but the two terms can basically be used interchangeably as it comes to flavor.

pecan and oak for smoking and for grilling a mixture of mesquite and pecan

you'll love the smell and taste of these two burning together. learned about this blend from my south Texas family as a boy.

Back