I had an idea - pulled smoked beef chuck Carolina Style

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Has anyone here done something like this? What would be the best temp to pull the meat before shredding?

i havent, but if you're gonna shred anything i know you gotta take it up to at least 160, but im sure someone will chime in with a better answer.

Use the biggest chuck roast that you can find and take it to 200 or 205 degrees internal and it should pull easily. Small chucks tend to dry out.

BTW, it's only a matter of time before someone will tell you that there is no such as pulled beef in the Carolinas. Only pork. :-D

Use the biggest chuck roast that you can find and take it to 200 or 205 degrees internal and it should pull easily. Small chucks tend to dry out.

BTW, it's only a matter of time before someone will tell you that there is no such as pulled beef in the Carolinas. Only pork. :-D

and it would DEFINETLY not be Carolina style. :twisted:

and it would DEFINETLY not be Carolina style. :twisted:

I already figured that, just thought I would try something different...of course, if someone else has a better idea of what I might do with pulled smoked beef chuck, I'm all ears!

Pulled beef sounds good but I have cooked BBQ for over 40 years and have never heard of Carolina style pulled beef and I live there.

Agreed they fall apart at 205:

pulledbeef.jpg

They are great slapped on buns and topped with this mix if it's up your alley:

1/2 cup ketchup and 1 cups Coca Cola mixed and simmered for a minute or two. I also sometimes throw in a little mustard and a splash of pickle juice in the sauce as well.

MMMMM Good.

I have not had much luck with pulled beef. But I do think the Carolina Style is all in the sauce and on beef it does not sound very good, but what do I know. You could try some sauce on some for a test.

I heard that the only thing you can BBQ in the Carolina's is pork. I think it will be good. I agree with above folks, get a large one and cook to over 200, pull and enjoy. I gotta try the ketchup/coke mix RubthatButt is recommending.

Agreed they fall apart at 205:

pulledbeef.jpg

They are great slapped on buns and topped with this mix if it's up your alley:

1/2 cup ketchup and 1 cups Coca Cola mixed and simmered for a minute or two. I also sometimes throw in a little mustard and a splash of pickle juice in the sauce as well.

MMMMM Good.

DING ding ding ding.
Hold all calls, folks, we have a winner!
Great post!

I guess that if I'm cooking in Carolina it means that my Chuck is Carolina Style...Cooked to 225* internal
attachment.php

And I like this sauce to compliment it...

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....
attachment.php

Smoked with Hickory. 9 pound Chuck.
attachment.php

attachment.php

6 hours in @160* then foiled with some worcestershire, bourbon, and apple juice.

The Chuck took 16 hours to get it to "like butter" 225* internal.

you really need whole chuck that weighs 20-25 lbs. Chuck roasts in the store are from the middle of the chuck and then rest is sued for ground. You need the extra fat. Cut it into 5 or 6 pieces and put in a large foil steam pan. Cover in rub and cook until at least 205 as Bubba says. Pull it and add back in the juice in the steam pan - yes all of it. Let sit for 30 minutes. Now you can taste it and ad sauce as needed. Most yankees want sauce. I really like it with just lots of good rub.

Back