• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal in a reverse flow offset?

Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone use charcoal in their stickburning offset? I am building a reverse flow for a customer and he wants to try having the option to run charcoal for a night's sleep.

Can anyone advise or show pictures of theirs? Thanks in advance!

When I still had LOLA, I tried to use a basket for charcoal. She didn't cooperate. There are some "Dera owners that used a charcoal basket with extended burn times, but nothing like what I think your client is looking for.

I could be wrong, but that's only happened one other time.:roll:

A nice size charcoal basket can be used, but... the reverse flow will eat the fuel. Once the pit has been fed logs and everything has come to temp, and you want some sleep..a good basket is worth its weight.

Charcoal baskets installed in two offsets; a (reverse flow) Lang 48 and the Brinkmann "Backwards Bandera".

On the Brinkmann... from 45 minutes (stock) to 2 hours with the basket.
On the Lang... 2 hours with the basket.

Heck ya!
A basket in the 84 is good for 3 to 4 hrs with just adding a lil wood for flavor! :cool:

I have an h&S that is reverse flow. The basket I use can hold 3 chimneys worth. Once up to temp, two chimneys worth of raw and a stick or two will run 2-3 hours.

When you design the firebox, make sure to seal it as good as you can. Air flow is what will dictate how long you can sustain a burn. If it leaks air it will eat coal quickly.

sorry no pics.

When I had the Lang, I experimented with charcoal a few times, it extended the burn for awhile but nothing like a drum or my 22.5 WSM's. I do know that Klose makes a basket for his that some have used in other stick burners. But I can't comment from experience on those...

I build my entire grills from my CNC machine which gives me extremely tight boxes. I looked at another thread on here with a chargriller modified to use a basket with an "S" curve like the Spice's use.

Do your baskets use the S or just a load of coal?

When you design the firebox, make sure to seal it as good as you can. Air flow is what will dictate how long you can sustain a burn. If it leaks air it will eat coal quickly.

sorry no pics.

Here is the basket for my dera. Works great. The seperator on the left is stationary and the one on the right is adjustable. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Bandera Firebox tac weld.JPG
    Bandera Firebox tac weld.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 289
sure does. I just hope I can build the size I need for this patio size monster. The chamber is 4' long and with the firebox its nearly 6'. Kinda wondering if I should just make a box he can add more into from the top? think lang 48 only bigger with a warming cabinet.

Rich Decker from the Lost Nation team in VT uses a basket in his Lang and says he gets long burn times....check out their web site....
firebox_01.jpg

http://lostnationvt.com/cooker_03.htm

Thanks! I will try some of these! I made a box that will fit in this machine but I haven't made the S yet. I'm looking at the site now. Thanks!!

Back