raichlen products

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Steven Raichlen's bbq products ie. rubs and cooking equipment? I am getting to the stage where I would rather make my own rubs and spices, and find cheaper tools to cook with.:-D

Ive got his BBQ Bible and think its pretty good. Thats all of his chit I have though. I see the farker has a whole line of BBQ products besides books. Gotta give it to the guy for making a living in this woderful hobby that we all love so much. Im jealous. More power to him.

I'd say they're OK to good for starting out. Especially if you're really new and still trying to figure out what you need and how you'd use it. Then after awhile you find other things that aren't necessarily BBQ related that might perform the job just as well or even better for the same or alot less money. If it's something you like and something you'd use, get it.

I'm not a big fan of his but his product are good for the price. I have the food heat gloves and leather gloves. I also have the grill brush. All have held up good. Except I cut the food glove finger off. Good thing it was just the glove.

My wife just got me the wood chip soaker for Valentine's day. It looks like it is made pretty well. Haven't used it yet.

i have his long tongs with the light on the end. the light is a waste but the tons are long and sturdy

I bought his regular tongs (on sale at beb bath and beyond for $8.99) I use them to move my charcoal around

willkat98 said:
I want to buy one of those Grill-Cams he uses

Never understood that. What can this possible tell us, that is does get dark when you close the lid?

His insulated gloves are pretty nice. His welding gloves are overpriced. I didn't like his chimney starter, but he told me he's redesigning it, and he's going to replace mine when he does. The rubs and sauces are good, and I think a bit different than normal, though I prefer my own. He's a chef first, so his flavors seem, to me, to tend to be a bit different than typical bbq, which can be a good thing.

SP said:
Never understood that. What can this possible tell us, that is does get dark when you close the lid?

It ensures that you don't flip your burger before the down side is done.

I'd drop a grand to stop the insanity burger flipping :shock:

cmcadams said:
His welding gloves are overpriced.

I don't think I would want to entrust my hands to welding gloves that cost less than $20.00.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't think I would want to entrust my hands to welding gloves that cost less than $20.00.

I use them all the time; I get real welding gloves, though, instead of welding gloves called bbq gloves. They don't go all the way up my forearm, but the long bbq gloves don't fit that way on me, anyway; they're too tight on the forearms. So I buy online in bulk for real welding gloves instead.

I have a few of his books and a pair of heat gloves.
I'm happy with all of it.

big blue bbq said:
My wife just got me the wood chip soaker for Valentine's day. It looks like it is made pretty well. Haven't used it yet.

First, why are you soaking wood chips? Second, I'm sure you already have a "wood chip soaker". It's normally called a bowl.

Back