MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Default Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, and Akorn JR pork butt

This was fun. One of the questions I got after the Weber charcoal sale at Home Depot was “Can you burn briquettes in a kamado?” I know the official answer is no, but I do it all the time in the Weber Summit Charcoal grill so I don’t know why it would be an issue in the ceramics except for ash.

I got to thinking about the lack of chemicals (so they say) in the Weber charcoal and then it occurred to me this is a great excuse to make a video testing it out. So I pulled out all four of my kamadas and did a pork butt test run.

I was doing fine until the wind picked up (if you are going to watch, at least give it till the 8 minutes and 30 seconds mark…You’ll know why when you get there.)

I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/CFX7KzV7fb0

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
mkf350
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : ><

Nice job!
mkf350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Pretty cool experiment.....with some uncooperative weather thrown in.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

what would you say the ash comparison to lump would be? Or the Weber compared to KBB

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I like that the cheap little clearance scratch and dent cooker did the best work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #6
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Nice video, thanks
First time I clicked the link i was taken to another one of your video's...weird
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very interesting Thanks for the review I think I will stick to my Lump for the Egg
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Great video! Just remember, an experiment that proves your hypothesis doesn't mean it's boring!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post
what would you say the ash comparison to lump would be? Or the Weber compared to KBB
This is a great question. I decided to let the cooker burn down and my intent was to keep an eye on how long it ran and then do some mental calculations on how much ash it produced per hour based on that picture.

What ACTUALLY ended up happening is we got a new roof put on the next day and I totally forgot to check with all the banging. Lol.

Some people say the Weber makes less ash than K. Right now I don’t think that’s the case but I could see why they think that because the charcoal seems to burn a really long time. So if you aren’t using much of the coal in a cook, it would produce less ash...if that make sense.

I think the ash production if very similar to a dense hardwood lump. Maybe a little more. Defintely more the Royal Oak but like I said, you don’t go through it as fast. Hope that makes sense.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
helliger
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : helliger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post

I've done several long cooks (12 to 14 hour range) in a WSM using both KBB and Weber briquettes and KBB produced noticeably more ash than the Weber briquettes. I also don't like the way the KBB smells when using the Minion method even though it never seems to affect the taste of the food.

To me the added cost for the Weber briquettes is worth it. KBB works fine though.

I've also used lump in a WSM for long cooks but it's often a pain. I've had much more trouble keeping the temperature stable with lump in a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Interesting to know that coals work Kamado's. Good to know in a pinch if that's all you can get.

Side note. What's up with Royal Oak from Home Depot. Seems like it's totally hit or miss. Last batch I got was like a bag of marbles. Tons of small pieces. Maybe they just get thrown around more from Home Depot???
helliger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
This is a great question. I decided to let the cooker burn down and my intent was to keep an eye on how long it ran and then do some mental calculations on how much ash it produced per hour based on that picture.

What ACTUALLY ended up happening is we got a new roof put on the next day and I totally forgot to check with all the banging. Lol.

Some people say the Weber makes less ash than K. Right now I don’t think that’s the case but I could see why they think that because the charcoal seems to burn a really long time. So if you aren’t using much of the coal in a cook, it would produce less ash...if that make sense.

I think the ash production if very similar to a dense hardwood lump. Maybe a little more. Defintely more the Royal Oak but like I said, you don’t go through it as fast. Hope that makes sense.
They conducted a test of Weber vs. Kingsford charcoal on the Virtual Bullet. Here: (very interesting)
http://virtualweberbullet.com/kingsf...test-2017.html

His conclusion: “Weber 100% All-Natural Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes appeared to burn longer than the three Kingsford charcoals. It produced slightly more ashes by weight and 20% more ashes by volume than Kingsford Original, but the same percentage of ashes at 18.6%.
Weber's new charcoal offering is intriguing because it appears to burn longer than any of the Kingsford products and with the same percentage of ash production as Kingsford Original, but with 20% greater ash volume than Original and at a much higher cost of $1 per pound versus Kingsford Original's 27¢ per pound sale price.”

So, your instincts were proven right here (as far as ash production goes). I have yet to try one the 16 bags of Weber I scored at HD for $3.90 each but am definitely intrigued by the long burn time that they measured.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I like that the cheap little clearance scratch and dent cooker did the best work.

Me too...though I'm going to get trolled forever about that. My "favorite" part of youtube...not. Still, it is what it is. lol

Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
Me too...though I'm going to get trolled forever about that. My "favorite" part of youtube...not. Still, it is what it is. lol
Got to call it like you see it.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #14
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Exactly

Old 02-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I agree! Lots of guys wouldn't be able to admit that their expensive cookers aren't the chit.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
akorn, big green egg, KAMADO JOE, primo, pulled pork