Beginning to drum smoke

Blind Squirrel BBQ

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Any and all help would be appreciated just purchased the gateway smoking drum. I plan to use it in competition this year I need some basics just to start. Never cooked high temp before curious about times when to wrap etc.

Our February class is sold out. We do have very limited space in the March class, however.

Welcome to The ICP! Make sure to join the Insane Can Posse group on Facebook as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
aside from classes make sure you practice a whole bunch and get your timelines down. Cooking hot n fast is great, but you don't have the margin for error that you have with low and slow.

I might be the odd duck but I learned how to cook on my ugly drums and my new cans pretty much on my own and watching youtube/reading forums/ect. The toughest meat for me to get figured out on a can was chicken. The exhaust on a Gateway is the same size as my cans and I find I always just leave the exhaust wide open and only adjust the intake. I like cooking right around 300 grate temp, no diffuser plate. I don't hang my ribs, that works for me. I use kingsford blue bag because it is cheap, consistent, and available everywhere. I think the trick to using blue bag is that I light my can 2 hours before my meat goes on, I light the charcoal box from the bottom and let it get hot with the lids off, after 30 minutes or so, I put the lids on and let the coals get stink free. Don't use too much wood, I use 2 fist size chunks of hickory and i put them in at startup so it isn't green when my meat goes on. Many others have a completely different philosophy on how they start their cans, I am just sharing what I do. When your butts start dripping too much (I don't know how to explain too much, but around 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours at 300) on the coals wrap them. A little bit of fat on the coals is awesome, too much gives it an off flavor IMO. I haven't cooked in near as many contests (12) as many on here but am holding my own, just got my first RGC! Hope something I wrote helps! Practice Practice Practice! When I was first learning, my goal was to figure out how to make stuff repeatable. I work on the process and timeline, then I worried about flavors.

Any and all help would be appreciated just purchased the gateway smoking drum. I plan to use it in competition this year I need some basics just to start. Never cooked high temp before curious about times when to wrap etc.
A good place to start is the blog on gateway drum smokers. Brad has wrote great articles on Brisket, chicken and ribs that will get you started.

Scott made the switch from Kamado to UDS to Hunsaker over our 2016 season. You can follow the entire season on our site in the blog section. Lots of info on why he made the decision.

www.radfondobbq.com

Last edited:
I love my Hunsaker Vortex Drum, super steady. The Gateway drum looks great too, just have not cooked on one. My tip would be pay attention to the lid and vent management, as that fire can roar on you.

Back