MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
markbet
Full Fledged Farker

Default boiling spare ribs?

I am going to smoke some spare ribs tomorrow, and my neighbor suggested that I boil my ribs prior to cooking, but I have also heard that is sac-religious to do that to ribs?
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

You got that right!

I'm pretty new here but if you boil ribs you might get your self banne dbefore you get started.

And if you follow the advice you will find here you won't ever even think about boiling and ribs in the same sentence.

Search the Q-talk forum for 3-2-1, that's the way to do ribs, 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil and the last hour back in the smoke. And then of course there are all of the individual variations form all of the brothers. . .

Enjoy :D

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
markbet
Full Fledged Farker

I kinda thought that would be the reaction, but thougt I would ask it anyway. My neighbor swears by it, but I have not tried it myself. You are right, stay with the brothers of this site, and I don't think I can go wrong.

- Traeger Lil Tex Grill

-Used to have a Bandera stick burner. (been put out to pasture)

Old 07-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

He wants to boil ribs?

Get a rope!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
markbet
Full Fledged Farker

I am sorry for offending you brothers. It was a question taht was asked of me, so knowing that you all are so educated at BBQ, I asked it. Now the adminstrators wants to ban me from the site, so be it, I was just trying to find out, I am totally new to this FARKING ****, so forgive me and my ignorance!

- Traeger Lil Tex Grill

-Used to have a Bandera stick burner. (been put out to pasture)

Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Solidkick

You didn't offend us, your neighbor needs a lesson.
Make him a deal.......you cook your ribs using the 3-2-1 method, let him boil his...do a taste test when finished. I bet you convert him.......

BTW: his ribs won't need to do anything but finish, they'll be cooked.

Better yet, let him finish them on the grill........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2004, 05:48 AM   #7
DarkRubiTJ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The thing about boiling ribs, is that all the flavor goes out in the water. You can't cook the juices that boil off in the process of boiling. It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, the baby is clean but gone. Cooked correctly smoked ribs will always be more tasty than boiled ribs.
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbet
I am sorry for offending you brothers. It was a question taht was asked of me, so knowing that you all are so educated at BBQ, I asked it. Now the adminstrators wants to ban me from the site, so be it, I was just trying to find out, I am totally new to this FARKING ****, so forgive me and my ignorance!

Markbet.. Your offending no one.... and I sure hope you know everyone is just pullin your chain. Theres 3 things we have fun with when we take a stand.... Boilin ribs, lighter fluid and soaking wood.

There are a few LAWS in the Brethrens world of BBQ. Not rules.. but LAWS

1 - NO LIGHTER FLUID

B. DONT WET YOUR WOOD

iii. DON'T BOIL THEM RIBS!

ps... Before i knew better.. i boiled ribs in beer and garlic, then grilled them. Then learned I screwed up and that was supposed to bratwursts. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret

Search the Q-talk forum for 3-2-1, that's the way to do ribs, 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil and the last hour back in the smoke. And then of course there are all of the individual variations form all of the brothers. . .

Enjoy :D
I agree with Eric, the 3-2-1 is the way to go Mark.

What kind of cooker do you have?

Run on over to Cattle Call and introcuce yourself and tell us what your using. Then we can hit you up with a $hitload of proper tips.

Then you'll invite that neighbor over, he'll polish off a whole slab, and say "See, I told you to boil them"

Its up to you whether you want to just politely laugh, or tell him your a Brethren now and he's in for some new ways to cook from you. You can then teach him your "style" that you develop. Just look at Eric here, or Solidkick, or any of us.

But we need to know a bit more before we can focus some tips your way.

Hope them first smoked ribs turned out okay.

I think it was my fifth slab that was the first "edible" smoked rib I made. The rest were pretty much soot.

Anyone else out there remember "hey, I don't see smoke" so you would add more and more mesquite?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Solidkick

Quote:
I think it was my fifth slab that was the first "edible" smoked rib I made. The rest were pretty much soot.
OMG you brought back some memories! LOL Thanks to the brothers that taught me the 3-2-1 method. Best ribs I've ever made, consistantly!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Keep in mind that it is the finished product that matters. My father-in-law steams his ribs before smoking them in a bullet smoker and they are good. Boiling is really a grillers trick and is not necessary if you cook in a real smoker with an offset firebox. Grills are designed to cook meat at a higher temperature than a smoker. If you don't boil or steam the ribs when cooking them on a grill then the outside will be done while the center is raw, and most people do not like their ribs rare. The boiling or steaming ensures that the ribs are cooked all the way through and it helps break down the collagen in the meat to make it tender and juicy. I recommend that you use the 3-2-1 method mentioned before. The 2 hours in the foil breaks down the collagen with moist heat the same as boiling and saves the flavor. This method is also easier than boiling. One of the general rules of smoking is that you hit the meat with smoke first and steam roast it later. That way the juices will tenderize the meat with the smoke flavor. Boiling the meat before smoking will limit the amount of smoke flavor that gets to the inside of the meat.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

DON'T BOIL RIBS, EVER!

It just farks up good water. If you want bolied ribs, just go to SAMS CLUB and buy some of their pre cooked, ready to throw away Ribs and don't waste your water

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote