Bought a bag of RO Lump...Have question.

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Purchased a bag of RO Lump Steak House. (Steak House is all they had). I hope that will work alright for Chicken. :confused: I will be using Apple chunks for smoke. I have never used lump before. I usually use Kingsford, but wanted to try lump to avoid all the ash problems I get in my drum.
My question is, do I light it the same way as I would Briquets? I use the minion method, using a chimney, lighting some briquets, and waiting for them to ash over, then dump them into my basket.
Is lump any different?

The minion works well, consider putting larger pieces of lump at the bottom of the charcoal basket for better air flow. Enjoy!

Light your lump the same way you always do. Steak house will work just fine, but you may find that it burns a little hotter sometimes.

Have fun.

I use my propane torch and lite a few spots on top. I always use lump.

i use a mapp gas torch. just behind my thermapen in things i wouldn't want to be without.

I used to be a Kingsford guy but when they started screwing with the price, I looked around and found lump. The first was RO and I left the big K entirely. You'll find that lump has some big and smaller pieces, some of which want to fall through the grates.

I cured this problem with putting a second grate on top of the first in a "cross-hatch".

Minion works fine, and if u find that temps r getting higher than desireable, I've found that a couple of cast-iron smoker boxes will retard the ignition of un-lit coals and slow it down.

Without mods, I've attained a 16 hr burn on my WSM.

Today, I swear by lump and K lost a 20 yr customer.

My go-to woods used to be Apple & Hickory. Next time ur burning something try Pecan & Cherry - c what u think.

Since the lump has differently shaped pieces you may need to rearrange and pack it down into the basket as you load it up. Fire it up just as you have been doing with the minion-m. I have found the stubbs brand of briqs to ash less than kingsford but no where near lump.

Also, when loading your fire basket, you'll find that it helps to "pack" the lump with either your fist, or by rapping your basket against the ground to compress the charcoal. By doing this, you'll minimize heat spikes and dips.

Back