MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brisket Bark

First post here. Brisket question. I'm known for steak, pulled pork, and ribs (in that order) and haven't done very many briskets--maybe only 6 ever. I did a whole packer on July 4 and the meat was great, and the bark was flavorful, but it was moist--almost mushy--from the wrap. So it was just a double instead of the home run it could have been.

Do you guys unwrap and let it sit naked after wrapping to reconstitute the bark? If so, how long? And do you take it all the way to probe tender before doing that?

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Did you wrap in foil or paper?
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
mikemci
Babbling Farker

No wrap at all will give you the best bark. Wrap in un-lined butcher paper will give you 2nd best bark.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.

Last edited by mikemci; 07-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
mikemci is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
No wrap at all will give you the best bark. Wrap in un-lined butcher paper will give you 2nd best bark.
I prefer going nekid as well
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.
That is a fallacy I often see repeated here. Even at 130* the meat will keep "cooking" as in the fibers and connective tissue will continue to break down. The process is slower at lower temps, but if it is cool enough to stop cooking you are in the bacteria danger zone.

As for the OP, what kind of cooker? Why did you wrap in the first place?

As has been said, the best bark will come from cooking end to end unwrapped. If you have to wrap to speed things up or to protect the outside, butcher paper will harm the bark less than foil but will also not help with those issues as much as foil.

If you keep sugar out of the rub, keep the cooking temp from getting too high, and your cooker is fully indirect heat, your bark may turn very dark but should not burn and will not need wrapping.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone that says you can't get a good bark cause your wrapping in foil is wrong. Cook normal, wrap to color, finish to feel. When your brisket is done, vent the brisket. Then place back on the pit for 30-40 mins to reset the bark.
Cmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Foil. I've hear paper can be good but never tried it.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
nope. I didn't know that's the thing to do, but sounds good.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
That is a fallacy I often see repeated here. Even at 130* the meat will keep "cooking" as in the fibers and connective tissue will continue to break down. The process is slower at lower temps, but if it is cool enough to stop cooking you are in the bacteria danger zone.

As for the OP, what kind of cooker? Why did you wrap in the first place?

As has been said, the best bark will come from cooking end to end unwrapped. If you have to wrap to speed things up or to protect the outside, butcher paper will harm the bark less than foil but will also not help with those issues as much as foil.

If you keep sugar out of the rub, keep the cooking temp from getting too high, and your cooker is fully indirect heat, your bark may turn very dark but should not burn and will not need wrapping.
I used the PBC (which, I understand usually causes an uproar of one kind or another). I like the idea of no wrap--just trying to make sure it was done in time and was moist since my previous efforts were often dry.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmikes View Post
Anyone that says you can't get a good bark cause your wrapping in foil is wrong. Cook normal, wrap to color, finish to feel. When your brisket is done, vent the brisket. Then place back on the pit for 30-40 mins to reset the bark.
Anyone who says you have to wrap to color is also wrong.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

What is "wrap to color"?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
boomers bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ADAM

I don't wrap mine either, love the bark I get each time.
boomers bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #14
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
What is "wrap to color"?
Making sure the bark is set.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
I used the PBC (which, I understand usually causes an uproar of one kind or another). I like the idea of no wrap--just trying to make sure it was done in time and was moist since my previous efforts were often dry.
Not sure why the PBC would cause an uproar. If your setup exposes the brisket to the glowing coals, you may need to wrap to protect it from charring. If you have a deflector or barrier, you shouldn't have to wrap.

Wrapping won't necessarily make it more moist. It does reduce evaporation which allows the meat to heat up faster and therefore cook faster, but hotter meat also means more moisture squeezed out of the muscle fibers. If I am not behind schedule, I don't give a hoot about a stall and I don't wrap briskets. If it looks like getting it done in time for dinner is in question, I wrap and up the temp to speed things along. It is a tool that can help you but is usually unnecessary.

Tags
bark, brisket