MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Ciggy5
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Internal Temp for Brisket Point ONLY?

I was thinking about doing a brisket this weekend, but I don't really need a whole 14 lb brisket, so I was thinking about doing just a point... I've done some research and can't really find posts - on this site or others - about what temp to cook a standalone point to... Go for 200-205? Less? More? Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just by feel. Probe tender is the way to go - the meat will tell you when it's done.

As to finish temps - which truthfully I never pay attention to on big cuts like brisket and pork shoulder - they vary a lot, and cooking at lower temps for longer will lead to a lower finishing temp than cooking hot and fast.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Jeff H
Full Fledged Farker

The points have so much fat in them I doubt they will all be rendered down by the time you get to 200-205 deg. I've never cooked just the point by itself but I find that the point takes several hours more after the flat is done to get most of the fat rendered out.
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Just by feel. Probe tender is the way to go - the meat will tell you when it's done.

As to finish temps - which truthfully I never pay attention to on big cuts like brisket and pork shoulder - they vary a lot, and cooking at lower temps for longer will lead to a lower finishing temp than cooking hot and fast.
+1...
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm guessing you meant flat only? Unless you have a full packer you separated.

If flat only start probing at 195 and look for the probe to move in and out of the meat with little resistance. Typically they are at that level around 198-205 for me, but they do vary.

Last edited by jasonjax; 03-24-2017 at 09:31 PM..
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Points are tricky. Can't really go by probe tender because of the fat content. If you are cooking at 300 it might be done around 205-210. Lower cooking temps will lower your finished temp.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
saseekutz
Full Fledged Farker

Cooking around 275 to 300 I find mine finishing around 210 or just above.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
chargrill2369
Knows what a fatty is.

I am new I find this thread interesting. I have tried cooking some brisket. I am finding the over done. I am wondering if there is an adjusted temp rating I should be aware of. Should I am for 5 or 10 degrees lower to get the results I want?
chargrill2369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargrill2369 View Post
I am new I find this thread interesting. I have tried cooking some brisket. I am finding the over done. I am wondering if there is an adjusted temp rating I should be aware of. Should I am for 5 or 10 degrees lower to get the results I want?
A full packer is way different. You can't go by temp. Describe the over doneness.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
gtr

Quote:
Here ya go...

bigabyte's brisket tutorial

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Bludawg's method

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...84&postcount=5

Very simple, very effective methods.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Seefyre
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I prefer to cook points only when possible and have done a bunch of 'em. Probe tender does work for me. Experience here makes the difference---I can tell when I'm in a big pocket of fat, I simply re position or come in from the side.

Other than monitoring pit temps or turkeys, I'm done watching thermometers and way happier for it.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
I'm guessing you meant flat only? Unless you have a full packer you separated.
Why would you guess he meant the flat? He said he was going to cook the point pretty plainly.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Why do you think they are overdone? What criteria are telling you its too done?

The reason I ask is that, with brisket, many beginners think they overcooked it when they actually didn't cook it enough.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
chargrill2369
Knows what a fatty is.

If find it over done because it's a bit on dry side especially the next day. I have done two one was good one was what I would call over done. Also the color of the meat looked very well done. 200 seems high to me for a beef but I am still learning.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
chargrill2369
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for posting the links. I will keep it under advisement as I go forward. Would the same rules apply to a prime rib?

Tags
brisket, Brisket point, point, Temp, temperature difference