MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #31
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Another non rapper here. It's just a matter of preference.
i can see that. i would be surprised to hear you drop some lyrics.

seriously. you can achieve the bark you desire nekkid, foiled or BP'd. you just need to do a few cooks and take notes. i used foil for years and never had mushy bark after i figured out to let the bark get a little harder before foiling.
"Doowutchyalike"

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #32
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks. I think I made some mistakes. Foiling and putting straight in the cooler may have been a problem, and I had wrapped it pretty tight so the juice was bathing almost all of the bark for the entire 2-hour rest. Still, it was my best effort on brisket, and the crowd went wild and it was good enough to make me look forward to trying again with some tweaks.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #33
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Another non wrapper here. It's just a matter of preference.
But i hear you're one heck of a rapper!
Thermoworks Smoke

Poll nitpickers are never happy unless they have a nit to pick with a poll.
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #34
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
First post here. Brisket question. I'm known for steak, pulled pork, and ribs (in that order) and haven't done very many briskets--maybe only 6 ever. I did a whole packer on July 4 and the meat was great, and the bark was flavorful, but it was moist--almost mushy--from the wrap. So it was just a double instead of the home run it could have been.

Do you guys unwrap and let it sit naked after wrapping to reconstitute the bark? If so, how long? And do you take it all the way to probe tender before doing that?

Thanks.
I released a rub technique long ago that did this exact thing. paper wrap made it even better. I see that bark pop back within minutes of placing it on the board... sometimes even after I slice it.

Edict.

Certified KCBS Judge

Sauna girl, oh Sauna Girl, where once there was a world, for one breathe shining moment who was known as................... Sauna Girl
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
bark, brisket