Chicken Korma... with pr0n.

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cooked indoors yesterday for a change. Decided to make chicken korma because I had a hankering for it.

Started with a whole chicken form Costco. Skinned it and cut it up into pieces.

Gathered up the spices, sort of mise en place. Whole spices included bay leaves, dates, saffron, star anise, mace, black cardamom, green cardamom, peppercorns, cloves, and fennel seed.
IMAG1175.jpg

The ground spices ( I could have used whole coriander and cumin but I had just ground some a couple of days ago). Turmeric, coriander, garam masala, salt, cayenne, cumin, and almonds ( I know they are whole, but I needed a place to put them.
IMAG1178.jpg

Toasted the whole spices then ground them up. Took the seeds out of the green cardamom before toasting. After toasting, I removed the bay leaf, black cardamom, star anise, and cinnamon to add to the pot later. I blanched the almonds, peeled them and toasted them too, to grind with the other whole spices.
IMAG1179.jpg

Sliced some onions and started frying them in a little oil. The recipe called for about a cup of oil, but my arteries can't take that, so I used about 1-2 tbsp. Just took a little longer to brown, but much healthier.
IMAG1182.jpg

Once the onions were browned, I removed about 80% of them to grind/blend with 3/4 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
IMAG1185.jpg

IMAG1187.jpg

IMAG1188.jpg

Added the cut chicken to the pot with some ginger and garlic paste - about 3 times more garlic than ginger.
IMAG1186.jpg

When the chicken was a bit browned, the spices went in. It had been smelling great already,but when the spices hit the pan, it was like an aroma bomb went off. The scent of saffron, cumin, coriander, mace, and other masalas filled the kitchen.
IMAG1189.jpg

Oh and a few helpings of this were added to the chef during the cook. :becky:
IMAG1150.jpg

Added the yogurt + onion blend and let everything get friendly for a little while, then added 1 cup of water to make some sauce, and a couple of green chilies to kick it up a notch.
IMAG1191.jpg

Plated shot, with brown basmati rice, on a stainless steel thali.
IMAG1194.jpg

It was mighty tasty, but my mom's chicken curry still wins!

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Have you ever thought about putting some boneless chicken thighs marinated in tandoori paste and cooking on skewers in your tandoor? That might be a tasty twist.

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Have you ever thought about putting some boneless chicken thighs marinated in tandoori paste and cooking on skewers in your tandoor? That might be a tasty twist.

You're right, and I might try that next time. Some dishes call for a small steel bowl to be placed in the pot, into which goes a lit piece of charcoal. You then pour a spoonful of ghee on the charcoal and seal up the pot quickly with dough. The ghee sizzles on the charcoal, introducing a smoky flavor into the dish.

Have you had chicken tikka masala before? It was invented in England when a balti joint customer pi$$ed off the cook by saying the tandoori chicken was too dry. The cook took the chicken, added a can of tomato soup, some spices and voila - chicken tikka masala was born. At least that's how the story goes.

I think the char and smokiness of grilled chicken would taste really good in this dish, so I'll defintiely give it a whirl!

You sure do it up right, nice cook. Tell me that's not all you ate

I did eat more than that... that was just a tasting portion!

Hey Clint the Islay Single Malt sure helps the cooking process - I approve!
John

Hey Clint the Islay Single Malt sure helps the cooking process - I approve!
John

The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is my current favorite - robust peaty flavor with a hint of sweetness. And it definitely helps the cooking process!

The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is my current favorite - robust peaty flavor with a hint of sweetness. And it definitely helps the cooking process!

I haven't tried that - I may go on line & order it. My current favourite distiller is Ardbeg. I have a few of their's open at the same time. They are good peaty Islays.
I usually hold the ice and drink with a dash of filtered water!
John

Back