• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dr. BBQ's big time BBQ sauce w/o liquid smoke?

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to try Dr. BBQ's big time BBQ sauce, but I'm not a fan of liquid smoke. Has anybody made the sauce and just ommited the liquid smoke? Just curious. And yes, I paid for and have the book. :-D

I actually don't mind a little in my sauces. Try his thick and sticky sauce.

Maybe you could use some smoked paprika in it's place....just a thought.

Maybe you could use some smoked paprika in it's place....just a thought.

I really like that idea even though his recipe doesn't call for paprika. I might throw in a tsp or so and see how I like. I do have some liquid smoke somewhere in my pantry, but it's easily 10 years old or more. Not sure if this stuff goes bad or not.

if you decide to used liquid smoke, i'd buy a fresh bottle.

FYI... 2 yr shelf life for liquid smoke, up to 4 per one manufacturer

http://www.colgin.com/faq.php

What is the shelf life of Colgin Natural Liquid Smoke?

We guarantee Colgin Natural Liquid Smoke's freshness and flavor intensity for two years. However, because of Colgin Natural Liquid Smoke's low pH and antimicrobial properties, it is often safe and delicious for twice that long.

It is a very good sauce with the liquid smoke. I suggest trying it as is and then start tweaking it next time around if you don't really like it.

OK OK I'll give it a shot with the liquid smoke. Dr. BBQ is the man and if he says add liquid smoke I'm adding liquid smoke. And I'll toss the 10 year old bottle and buy a new one.:-D

Try smoking your sauce on a wsm using a little apple wood... oh yeah use a designated ss bowl.

Has anyone ever tried actually smoking the sauce for a while in place of the Liquid Smoke? or is that just a dumb idea?

Let us know what you think of the sauce.

Made it to today and I really liked the overall flavor. The liquid smoke wasn't too pronounced, and there was nice balance of sweet/sour/heat.

However, when I saw the amount of dried thyme I kind of cringed, as I'm not a huge fan of dried thyme unless it's mixed with some other dried herbs (like in a canjun spice blend).
I love fresh thyme but I find dried to be a litle overpowering, but that's just a personal preference. I went with the amount in the recipe and it was too much for me. It's still winter so I didn't have any fresh thyme growing, but next time I will use fresh thyme and let it simmer for a bit to infuse the flavor (or use just use about 1/4 of the amount of dried).

That's an easy tweak though, and as I stated it's more of a personal thing, I'm just really sensitive to the taste of it. I'll be making this again for sure!

Hey, no peeking! :wink:

drbbq.jpg

Made it to today and I really liked the overall flavor. The liquid smoke wasn't too pronounced, and there was nice balance of sweet/sour/heat.

However, when I saw the amount of dried thyme I kind of cringed, as I'm not a huge fan of dried thyme unless it's mixed with some other dried herbs (like in a canjun spice blend).
I love fresh thyme but I find dried to be a litle overpowering, but that's just a personal preference. I went with the amount in the recipe and it was too much for me. It's still winter so I didn't have any fresh thyme growing, but next time I will use fresh thyme and let it simmer for a bit to infuse the flavor (or use just use about 1/4 of the amount of dried).

That's an easy tweak though, and as I stated it's more of a personal thing, I'm just really sensitive to the taste of it. I'll be making this again for sure!

I had given up on making sauce, as I had made many, and not found one that I wanted to make again, until I made this one. When I have a lunch at work for my clients and co-workers, I usually will have this sauce, and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's. I can't remember the last time The SBR was opened.

OK OK I'll give it a shot with the liquid smoke. Dr. BBQ is the man and if he says add liquid smoke I'm adding liquid smoke. And I'll toss the 10 year old bottle and buy a new one.:-D

Did you hide the bottle, so no one could see you buying it? LOL:-D

BTW....what book? I may need that one.

(Edit; I just found his homepage.)

I said I would never use liquid smoke for anything then my son made Chris Lily's sauce from his book. We both own a book and share cook success back and forth. The Memphis-style championship red sauce uses liquid smoke.It is delicious. So I took away from that experience that it is a good idea to try a recipe as it is written first. Then make adjustments to you own taste.

Back