MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
RamHemiTX
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON View Post
LUMP!
and what everyone else recommended.

Also are you complaining about not getting bark AND using foil? Those two don't go together so well IMO. So try kicking the temps up in the drum and avoiding the foil. I have only smoked about 20 briskets in the drum now and I had to use foil one time (had a catering gig and they were taking tOOOOOOO long to get done!) and the bark wasn't very good at all compared to my normal anti-foil method

I only foil them for the same reason as you. Just to git 'er done.. But when I have pulled them to foil they were never what I expected. I hear all the comments about "bark is overrated", and "taste over looks", but I want it all. I can say that cooking hotter gave me what I was looking for. I was actually out running errands and thought for sure I had a couple hours to go. I called the wife to check the temp and she said the meat probe on the ET732 read 190°. So I rushed home, foiled and coolered. I am about to pull it out of the cooler to slice her up. No one is here yet so I should be able to get a picture.

I used my last stockpiled bag of KBB today for this one and will go back to RO Lump now.. Pics to follow!
RamHemiTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6402 View Post
Taste over looks for me
A nice flavorful bark IMO is a huge part of the wow factor of brisket, so I'd consider that taste over looks as well. Most brisket I taste here in Austin is lacking in bark, and simply tastes like smoked pot roast. A well bbq'd brisket will knock your socks off. It's rare, but it happens (not in most commercial bbq joints around here though, they tend to cook for the masses, and the results are usually a bland product).

I vote for higher cooking temps, no peeking, no foiling, just let it rip till the sizzling sound starts to die down. At that point you know it's close to done, and can start "peeking" for doneness. It always helps to get a better cut of beef, look for a choice brisket, or a CAB briskie from restaurant depot.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
RamHemiTX
On the road to being a farker

I'll post a pic later. It was tasty, and looked good. But still was a lil chewy. I will have to keep trying.
RamHemiTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, uds, UDS Brisket