• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Rub....what do you use?

W

wormdrink67

As I'm fairly new to the brisket cooking side of bbq, I'm just wondering what everyone is using for injection/rub. I know bovine bold is pretty popular, what else is out there?

Cowlick

I use Dizzypig's Cowlick rub. Its a nice, peppery rub, does very well in competition. I do not inject, so the rub is particularly important in setting the flavor profile. Highly recommended.

Bret

Bub-ba-q makes a killer Brisket rub

I've heard nothing but good things about bub-ba-q's brisket and every comp I've seen him at he does great in that category. I tried to order some of it from his site, but it's not working right now. Thanks for the info though, hope to get some soon.

You can't go wrong with any of the Brethren rubs...Kosmo's, Plowboy's, Simply Marvelous,...they are all winners!
There are more...but those are off the top of my head.

I use either Plowboys Bovine Bold or a recipe I got from one of the teams that won the American Royal a long time ago. It's not sold, one you have to make up yourself. But it's good.

i think you forgot to list what you did use though... Maybe that was just an oversight... :becky:

I am one of those who does not use Smoking Guns Hot on brisket.

I prefer A-1....

If I don't have any of that. Then Smokin' Guns Hot...

I am one of those who does not use Smoking Guns Hot on brisket.

Mind if I ask why? I'm nervous to put anything on meat I plan to turn into judges that says "hot" or any variation of the word. Several notes in my results packets last year lead me to believe that judges do NOT like heat....of any kind.

Mind if I ask why? I'm nervous to put anything on meat I plan to turn into judges that says "hot" or any variation of the word. Several notes in my results packets last year lead me to believe that judges do NOT like heat....of any kind.

Smokin Guns hot is a pretty darn good rub. I use it on everything else.

As far as judges not liking heat, I would say it depends on how HOT you make it. I judge a lot and have had some so hot it was just BAD:mad2:. But I like some heat as I think most judges do but don't kill them with it.

Back