MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Questions for those with Cajun Bandit conversion kits

I'm thinking about getting one of these, and have a few questions. What exactly comes in the kit? How is the fuel efficiency, and do you think it would work better on a OTG, or an old Barbi Kettle with daisy wheels? TIA

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I was wondering about it, myself. I wonder how it compares in performance w/ the big wsm.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have two 22" conversions on a Performer and OTG platforms. I also have a big bullet.
(and test driving a Mini conversion)

The Cajun Bandit gets used more than the WSM. Do a search for any of my CB posts.

I am kind of biased but for different reasons-I bought the kettle conversion so I could use my Weber or EZ-Que rotisserie rings. It wasn't possible to do that on the big bullet, until C&C Grilling Co. introduced their WSM/Kettle rotis ring. By then I had modified the center section of my 22" WSM into a giant rotis ring.

So....I now have a 22" WSM, a modified center, and the Cajun Bandit ring, so I could do what I wanted to in the first place, but still use the kettle conversion out of convenience - I like the fact I can use the kettle lid with out the center section-something the WSM is not made for.

I do a lot of rib and chicken cooks on mine using the Rib-O-Lator, EZ-Que cradle and Char-Broil baskets, so my longest cooks have been under 6 hours, so I can't personally claim to be an expert on the long cooks, but I have all the confidence you should have no problem maintaining temps yourself. If you want peace of mind-add a Guru adapter and set it and forget it! It's next on my list.

As far as using a Bar-B-Kettle or OTS/OTG, I was concerned at first about ash clogging the daisy vents, so I modded out an old kettle and placed WSM vents at the charcoal grate like the WSM and found I had too much airflow and ditched it in favor of the OTS/OTG. There is a bit of a learning curve to find out your vent settings, and I found it much easier to do using the OTG over the Silver, but its not that big of a deal, because it does not take much to keep it going.

Either way you go the guys at C&C have you covered whether you get the WSM or have a kettle.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, Brian.

I'd be cooking chicken and ribs most of the time on one as well, as I already have a small wsm. I just don't like doing ribs or chicken on it, as it's always a bit tight for the number of birds and slabs that I usually cook.

I'd have to wait on the rotisserie, but that would be sweet as well. I'd probably make a drum for it to roast coffee in, too.

I have both a OT gold and a silver (just one handle) for grillin'. Which would you recommend converting? If you said the OTG, is it because it's easier to see what the vent setting is and you have two handles?

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Thanks, Brian.

I'd be cooking chicken and ribs most of the time on one as well, as I already have a small wsm. I just don't like doing ribs or chicken on it, as it's always a bit tight for the number of birds and slabs that I usually cook.

I'd have to wait on the rotisserie, but that would be sweet as well. I'd probably make a drum for it to roast coffee in, too.

I have both a OT gold and a silver (just one handle) for grillin'. Which would you recommend converting? If you said the OTG, is it because it's easier to see what the vent setting is and you have two handles?
Actually mine started out as a OTS, but I found a Green OTG and swapped out the ash can assembly. But yes I take a marker and highlight the vent handle settings on the OTG.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Cool. Thanks for the pics.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

When did Q'n become so complicated LOL!! Maybe its too early in the morning for me to follow this thread-
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
When did Q'n become so complicated LOL!! Maybe its too early in the morning for me to follow this thread-
Had your coffee, yet?

I just revived it to see if any of the CBCK users would post as to the +'s and -'s of converting the various Weber kettles, ie. old Daisey wheel vs. OTS vs. OTG.

Also, was wondering about how it compares w/ the big WSM. I understand it'll do HH easier, but the vents could get clogged using K on long cooks.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Forrest
On the road to being a farker

I've been somewhat unhappy with the conversion on a OTS simply because of the ash clogging you brought up. It's a pain to clear the ash and then lay on the ground to eyeball the vent position. I have devised a device that will catch most of the ash before it hits the vents but still lets air through. Once I find the right donor parts I will set it up, test it, and report back.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I've been somewhat unhappy with the conversion on a OTS simply because of the ash clogging you brought up. It's a pain to clear the ash and then lay on the ground to eyeball the vent position. I have devised a device that will catch most of the ash before it hits the vents but still lets air through. Once I find the right donor parts I will set it up, test it, and report back.
Forrest, thanks for the input. On long low-n-slow cooks, do you have suffocation problems w/ lump or low ash briquettes like Stubbs, too?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Can you hang a pan under the charcoal ring/grate to catch the ash and let air come up around the edges, or is there not enough space?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
PhilB

I just got one two weeks ago, and posted a pictorial of the contents of the kit and the conversion itself here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94910
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I just got one two weeks ago, and posted a pictorial of the contents of the kit and the conversion itself here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94910
Yeah, I came across that, Phil. Thanks.

I have an idea that this conversion is awesome for short or HH cooks, but have you done any long cooks yet?

If so, is refueling a pain since the pan sits so close to the coals? Do you think you could set and forget w/out the fire choking out, even w/ K?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
PhilB

I haven't used it for more than 6 or so hour yet, but it was still going strong, even though I hadn't filled the coal ring entirely. I used K every time.
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Forrest, thanks for the input. On long low-n-slow cooks, do you have suffocation problems w/ lump or low ash briquettes like Stubbs, too?
To be honest I haven't loaded it with lump yet. I have been burning off my remaining Kingsford Comp briquette supply. The problem would be less with lump, but still be present.

I think there is room to hang an ash pan inside as you described. The kit uses the original charcoal grate and placement. It could stand off the bottom with legs, or hang off the charcoal grate with hooks.