pork shoulder

C

count porkula

first..a friend and i are splitting a whole hog. the hog...raised locally will be slaughtered next week.

a local butcher, who does our steers, will cut to our specifications.

we'll be curing and smoking the hams, hocks, jowls and picnic. also, we will be doing our own bacon and sausage. all done in my buddy's smoke house.

the rest of the pig...shoulder, loin, ribs and tenderloin will be used for grilling or bbq. more than likely, the loin and tenderloin will be cut into chops or steaks.

any specific ideas or thoughts to tell the butcher when preparing the shoulder, loin, ribs or fresh hams? specifically, the shoulder and ribs...at least for me...will be bbq on the traeger.

any other thoughts or suggestions is welcomed.

tell him to cut it the way he likes it cut ribs 3-1.5 2 table spoons apple juice wrap in foil then out of the foil for 1 hr .. with sauce on the traeger has got us some walks in comps ps apple and cherry pellets

As far as the hams go, I usually have them cut at least 1 ham steak off each ham 3/4-1" thick. They are great marinated in OJ and grilled. I don't do the pork steaks either, it leaves more meat for pork butts for smokin.

Back