MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

Default Just got a 1/4 side of beef - No What?

Short version of this story is that we have friends that own a cattle ranch and occasionally slaughter a cow or two. They have offered us this option from time to time but we have always turned them down outside of a few burgers and/or steaks. Well this week the stars aligned and our freezer was almost completely empty so we took them up on a quarter.

I guess I should have posted for some advice on this last night before going out to the meat processor, but oh well. I think I have gotten a pretty good set of cuts but I think I could have done better with some advice from the group (i.e. my skirt steak ended up in my hamburger instead of as a cut on its own).

In any event I took the front end because of better options for BBQ (at least based on what I knew/thought). I ended up with ribeye steaks (these were not bone on because the guy cutting that misunderstood me and boned it so I got stead and ribs), Texas style ribs, plate ribs (divided into two sets of 4), brisket, neck bones for stew beef, two large (very) rolled chuck roasts that I had cut in half for a total of 4, and the rest ground into hamburger.

Now comes the plea for advice. How would you cook all of the above, with the exception of the hamburger, ribeys, and brisket? I have never done beef ribs (plate or Texas style) or chuck roll. I have heard chuck roll is good to cook just like brisket. How about the ribs? Would you do those similar to pork ribs (3,2,1/2,2,1)? Forgive the Carolinian in me and my prior to last week bias to only port BBQ.
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

do the beef ribs same as brisket also.

I do it simple... rub em, cook to 165-170 and foil until tender.

they will not fall from the bone. Theres this monstor membrane that you will contend with.. Either just chow down on em like fred flintstone, or leave 3 bones intact and slice the across the grain, from top to bone.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Do a search for beef ribs or dinosaur bones and you'll find lots of ideas. I season them like I do a brisket (Montreal Steak Seasoning) and cook them at 225-250 until they are done (if there is enough meat on them you can measure the temp and take them to around 190 and then start checking for doneness.

The chuck roasts are probably chuck rolls. Another search will come up with more ideas, but season these however you wish and cook until 190 - 200 internal and the thermometer probe slides in easily and then either chop or pull. Goos stuff!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

oh yeah.. and those chuck rolls(knwo to us as chusk rolls) are awesome in chili too. Smoke em to 175, then dice and add to chile.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
do the beef ribs same as brisket also.

I do it simple... rub em, cook to 165-170 and foil until tender.

they will not fall from the bone. Theres this monstor membrane that you will contend with.. Either just chow down on em like fred flintstone, or leave 3 bones intact and slice the across the grain, from top to bone.
Quick clairification ... I have both two sets of 4 plate ribs (I think what they cut from the ribeyes) and what the cutter called "Texas style" ribs cut one rib at a time. Would you do both of these the same way (like the brisket)? How long do they normally take given their size? The Texas style ones appear to have a lot of meat on them.
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill

Last edited by Pipin' Pig; 09-06-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: added clarification.
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote