Nu-Temp thermometer

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I received my Nu-temp thermometer today and have a couple of questions for the guys that use them.
(1) The door on my Bandera when closed is pretty tight. Won't running the probe wires through the door get cut when I shut the door?
(2) The probe that I will be using for the chamber temp, how is the probe fixed inside, or do you just lay it on top of the grill.
I will have a full load in my smoker tomorrw, and would like to be able to use the Nu-Temp correctly.

1. Route the cable through the smoke stack. Place a 4x4 or 6x6 block of wood on top of the smoker on either side of the smoke stack, then set your remotes on top of the wood to keep them away from the heat.
2. I use a cork from a wine bottle, stick the probe down the middle of the cork and rest the cork on the cooking grate.

The door should not hurt the lead. Don't place the lend of the probe on the grate it will give you a bad reading or burn it out. Small block of wood with a hole drilled into it to slide the probe through or push it through a potato or the end of the meat. the end of the probe needs to be exposed to get a good pit temp reading.

I posted what I do, It's probably not the best method but was easy and required no facrication. Even though I do not build things, I have wood lying around everywhere. I had a piece of 6x6 lying on the ground and said this will fit on the smoker. :roll:

I saw a thread lately about someone making a shelf for the remotes and would like to have something that looks much nicer, but I know I will never build one. If someone is actually making a nice shelf, please post a drawing in the files section.

john said:
I saw a thread lately about someone making a shelf for the remotes and would like to have something that looks much nicer, but I know I will never build one. If someone is actually making a nice shelf, please post a drawing in the files section.
John,
That was me. Design done and on graph paper. Pick up sheet metal Mon or so and then cut and bend Mod from there.
I'll post it when I get done.
TIM

i keep a paver on top pf the bandera. been there for years.. just for the thermometers.

run the wire doen the chimney, closing the door compresses the wire and after enough times it beocmes frayed and stops working.

I like sticking the probe thru a corner or "bad" tip on the meat..or a piece of fat..... Just keep it away from a grate. Also, beware of the "heat shadows" that are above and below the meat.. Get the probe in an area of circulation around the meat.

It is going to be so nice being able to stretch out on the hamock with a beer and still be able to know what is going on inside the smoker. Hell I may even chase the ole lady around, as long as the thermometer receiver is in site.. :twisted:

markbet said:
Hell I may even chase the ole lady around, as long as the thermometer receiver is in site.. :twisted:

Chase away! That is what the alarm is for in the base station.

john said:
markbet said:
Hell I may even chase the ole lady around, as long as the thermometer receiver is in site.. :twisted:

Chase away! That is what the alarm is for in the base station.

John....since you mentioned about the alarm on the base, that brings up another question, I see that it has a warning for high and low temps. I know what my high should be, what is a good setting for low. I think my high will be my cooking temp (250*) and my low.....five or ten degrees below my target temp?

My base station only alarms me on one of the two settings. So I can only set the alarm for a high setting or a low setting not both. I don't know if they improved on this or not.

So during a long smoke I set the alarm on the low side 5 or 10 degrees below my target running temp which allows me to put the beers down, go out to the smoker and add more wood. Then towards the end when I am concerned out the meat temp I switch it to high and wait for it to go off and set the beers down.

john said:
My base station only alarms me on one of the two settings. So I can only set the alarm for a high setting or a low setting not both. I don't know if they improved on this or not.

So during a long smoke I set the alarm on the low side 5 or 10 degrees below my target running temp which allows me to put the beers down, go out to the smoker and add more wood. Then towards the end when I am concerned out the meat temp I switch it to high and wait for it to go off and set the beers down.

You are right John, I went to Nu-Temps website, and I can only set it on one or the other, high or low.

markbet said:
You are right John, I went to Nu-Temps website, and I can only set it on one or the other, high or low.

Good that means yours is not better then mine! :lol:

After long thoughtful consideration, I finally went with the Maverick remote thermometer over the Nu-Temp because a high and a low warning can be set for the smoker's temperature.
Mike

I used my new Nu-Temp thermometer's over the weekend, they were fantastic. I new exactly what was going on in the smoker. It helped me keep total control of my heat. I could not believe how much my door thermometer was off, almost 50*, and the end result was some very good BBQ. The Nu-Temp is worth every penny in my opinion.

Back