Homemade Butter

Marwendholt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got bored last night and was playing around on the net, and found a site talking about making butter in a jar. Well I naturally had to try it, and it turned out awesome. My 3 year old stepson and I filled a mason jar halfway with heavy whipping cream and started shaking, and shaking, and shaking. When it turned to whipped cream i added a little salt and some powdered sugar, then shook it til it turned to butter. If anyone loves little simple projects like me or have to try to make everything at home like me, this is a fun one to do with kiddos.

Next time I'm skipping the sugar and I'm going to cold smoke it and see how it turns out.

I had done that with my daughter years back to show her how butter was made.
It was fun then, I'll have to do it again with the grankiddies.

Sweet! I was just thinking of making some chipotle lime butter. I wonder if I could add the chipolte and lime at the time of the salt/sugar and get the same effect.

Thoughts?

I would think it would work out just fine, as long as the acid from the lime doesn't affect the butter formation.

I make all my Butter, to easy in the KA and way better than store bought. It's a twofer as you get 3/4 pint of REAL buttermilk too as a by-product per 32 oz of cream and 1 1/2 lb butter

I make all my Butter, to easy in the KA and way better than store bought. It's a twofer as you get 3/4 pint of REAL buttermilk too as a by-product per 32 oz of cream and 1 1/2 lb butter

Do you use whole milk for this or heavy cream?

Great project! Homemade butter is hard to beat. I trade my fresh eggs to a friend for fresh cream from his milk cows. It's soooooo tasty. :hungry::-D

We did this with the youngest scouts. We didn't add sugar, but we did add the salt. We washed it though to seperate the buttermilk from the butter. The kids ate it on their dinner rolls at supper time. A craft I can get behind. The leader in charge of this activity (my wife) did it during a story time, talked first about the butter making, then read a story and the kids took turns shaking the jar and when they got tired they passed it to the next person.

I have made it before, it is very easy, especially if you use a blender. :clap2:

A cool way to get your kids involved, and make them feel like they really contributed to the Thanksgiving day meal, is have them make it early in the day. There can be a little history lesson involving the first Thanksgiving, making it even more interesting for the kids and yourself.:eusa_clap
Dave

For awhile we had access to some raw milk, we would separate out the cream and make our own butter using the kitchen aide mixer, and we would use some of the left over whole milk to make yogurt using the dehydrated as an incubator, since it hd. Timer and temp control

Back