Bean Help

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I need to make a side of beans. Only thing I have are pork and beans, bacon, fatty, chopped beef and onion. Any quick recipes? I know I can add brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, onion & bacon. Not sure of amounts though? Won't be going in the pit either.

Thanks,
Ty

Hey Ty,
Question - How much beans do you have ?

Hard to know how much of the other stuff to add without that piece of info...

Looks like you should be able to get by just don't overadd the meats...It should be complementary to the beans.

Thillin, see my recipe for quick frijoles ala charra in the recipe section. Good stuff.

Saute' the onions in butter before you add to beans.
For 2 cans try adding a little (2 to 4 tblspn) of KC Masterpiece.
Lip Smakin' good !!

As long your going to sautee' some onions you might as well throw a clove or two of garlic in also. I like to add some left over pulled pork or brisket in my beans along with a couple of chopped up japs or a touch of habenero to KYDITD.

for alittle sweet heat--I sautee' onions,jap peppers, garlic in the bacon grease. if I have it some pulled pork--if not some pork sausage. not too much-just for flavor.

I use brown sugar and honey--have to add to your taste. And couple Tbls. BBQ sauce.

Ty, try starting with about 1/4 cup of ketchup per can [assuming they are decent sized cans] and one tablespoon each brown sugar and mustard. Add all the onions garlic etc . You can adjust the sweetens-tartness by adding more of the sugar or mustard till it tastes right to you. This works the same way making a sweet-sour does. You have to finish it by taste-ing. The mustard is mostly vinegar, and balances the sugar.

This is my favorite bean recipe, it's adapted from the Dinosaurs Cook Book.

BBQ Baked Beans

2 T Olive Oil

1 Large Onion, Chopped

1 Cup Green Peppers, Chopped

1/4 Cup Garlic, Minced

1 Pound Hot Italian Sausage

1 #10 Can Baked Beans

1 Cup BBQ Sauce

1/4 Cup Dark Brown Mustard

1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar

1 T Chili Powder

1/4 Cup Maple Syrup

1 t Rub

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers, salt and pepper and cook till soft. Toss in the garlic and cook for one more minute. Crumble the sausage into the veggies and cook, chopping the meat into small pieces. Cook till the pink disappears. Drain off the bean liquid and add to the cooked veggies and sausage. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the rest of the ingredients. Serve when hot ( it never hurts to let the flavors blend overnight)

Rich Decker

PS sorry it's so large, I have all my recipes saved in large type so I can read them without glasses. I don't know how to decrees the text size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just take the big cans of Bush's and dump em in a meatloaf foil pan. Squirt some yellow mustard in it, some brown sugar, some molasses, chopped onions and sometimes add some browned burger or mild jimmy dean sausage and let it smoke on.

Scott

sfisch said:
I just take the big cans of Bush's and dump em in a meatloaf foil pan. Squirt some yellow mustard in it, some brown sugar, some molasses, chopped onions and sometimes add some browned burger or mild jimmy dean sausage and let it smoke on.

Scott

What Scott said, cept the ground is frozen in the yard so the mustard is not an option. :)

Recipe Section, Doctored Bush Beans by DFLittle. I use that guideline all the time

Beans are hard to mess up, and I would give you something straight off the top of my head but FatDad and Neil already did a pretty good job. When you use pork and beans everything is safe to taste so I would suggest adding your favorite fixens till it tastes good. Then bake till it has cooked some of the liquid off and serve.

My self I got kinda a idea of what I am looking for as far as taste and start pretty much with the base ingredenents you mentioned. I then start adding the extras to get the taste I am looking for and also be sure to taste as you go. Add stuff in small amounts cuz lot easier to add ingredents than it is to take away.

Back