MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Default MooCow's Make It - Take It Drum Class Review..FANTASTIC

Let me first preference this review with the fact that I am pushing 70 years old and I can well remember when I would walk into an old country store and see some of the local residents sitting around a pot bellied stove eating cheese and crackers from the cracker barrel.

The event was held at Shane Petzold's home at Belton, MO. in his garage with additional covered space being provided by Shane and his Team erecting their competition tent at the front of the garage. The weather forecaster was very accurate and we had a mix of sleet and snow off an on all day but the accommodations provided were more than adequate and just added to the mystique of BBQing. Each participant brought their own chairs and they were set up in a semi-circle inside of Shane's garage thus reminding me of the old time country store get togethers, it was really comfortable and added to each participant getting to talk to, and to know the other participants.

The class started promptly at 9:00 AM with Shane providing us with a goody bag that contained, among other things, rub samples, sauce samples, sponsor ball caps, cooking information, etc . Also, there was a "Release of Liability" document which is something I would have never thought of. But, afterall, we would all be using power tools, hammers, and wrenches and the potential for someone to get hurt was always present ( which never happened, except for one small cut on a finger) which was quickly attended to with a band-aid .

Once this was done Shane and his team got into meat selection and preparation as they wanted to get the meat cooking on the drums so we would have a big spread for dinner later that evening. So all of the briskets, butts, ribs, and chickens were prepped. The briskets and butts needed to go on right away so outside we all went with The Team showing us how to set up the UDS cookers for cooking and then explaining the temperature control options available on the drum through manipulating the large 1" stainless steel ball valve and opening and closing off the two other air intakes with pipe caps.

While the meat was cooking the rest of the morning was consumed by Shane and his Team Members sharing their cooking techniques and recipes that have made them a World Championship Team.

When noon came Shane put together, for lack of a better term, the ingredients for a Fajita which he cooked on his huge 26" diameter disk cooker. Now folks I do not know if this would be called a Fajita or not but, in my opinion Shane had developed a new line of Mexican cuisine as it was beyond being delicious, it was out of this World good. I can tell you that it had ham, bacon, chorizo, fresh cooked pulled pork, red bell peppers, Serrano peppers, onions, green chili's, Rotel tomatoes, corn and then I lost track of the rest of the ingredients. All of this cooked up on his huge disk cooker and served on hot white corn tortilla's, with all of the sides for dressing out the tortilla. Man-o-man was this good. I look for him to get a call from the Mexican President this week asking him to be his personal chef.

After feasting on the Mexican dish all I needed was a big sombrero and an adobe wall to back up to and I would have been fast asleep but this was not to be. Shane announced it was time we start building the drum cookers and we were each instructed to pick out a freshly re-furbished drum WITH NO LINER to burn out...Yipee!!

Now, let me stop here and say that Shane and his Team had already professionally built expanded metal charcoal baskets and he had already purchased and furnished each participant with a new Weber grill rack. All we had to do was to mark off and drill the holes for the grill rack support bolts and then install the bolts. Then we marked off and drilled the air intake holes and then installed the pipe nipples and the nipples for the large on/off ball valve. You would think that for the low cost of this class he would have used cheap hardware, this was not the case, only the best Stainless Steel hardware was used including Stainless Steel Ball valves. How he was able to put this class on for such a low cost is still beyond me.

With the drums built and set aside it was back to him sharing all of his Team's cooking techniques and recipes for the various meats and I mean he barred nothing. The Moocow Team had some new and exciting flavor profiles for their meats and they shared these profiles along with the recipes for the rubs and sauces use to achieve these results.

By 5:30 PM all of the meat was done and it was time for dinner to be served which consisted of perfectly cooked brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken, cole slaw, baked beans, pickles, bread, and dessert.

In summary if you went to this class thinking that all you were going to learn was how to build a drum and how to cook on it you were pleasantly surprised as you got the benefit of all of Moocow's cooking techniques and recipes. This is the 4th BBQ class I have attended and I can say without reservation, it is one of the best I have ever attended and I have been to some great ones.

Shane, and his Team, have another class scheduled for the future and I would highly recommend that anyone who wants to have fun, build a drum cooker, learn how to cook on it, and to learn World Class Cooking techniques along with the recipes need to go... I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

WAY TO GO SHANE AND THE WHOLE MOOCOW BBQ TEAM

Pictures to follow at a later date.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
campdude
Babbling Farker

Wow, sounds like a great day!
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
majdurham
Found some matches.

Sounds like a good day Wheel. I wish there was a class like that here in my area of NC.
JD

Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
MJR0112
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Any PRON from the event??
MJR0112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like a great day overall, and some good food as well.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

interesting.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0112 View Post
Here's Dave Petzold cooking up the 'fajitas' on the disc cooker:

I can tell you that there were LOTS of pictures taken . . . and somehow, I was just listening closely and taking notes . . . so this was the only picture I got.

And thanks for the write up wheelterrapin.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
ksace
On the road to being a farker

I am also a graduate of Moo U's class of 2010 (spring). What a great class. The information and food was incredible but the star of the show is the drum. (I did not take any pictures but there were lots of cameras and I'm sure pictures will be along soon.)

Shane and his friend and fellow competitor Scott, whose team name I don't remember (sorry Scott), were full of great information. I doubt I ever do any competition but this class would be very valuable for someone wanting to get in the game. I learned a lot that will be put to use in my backyard for sure.

We learned brisket, butts, ribs (BB's and spares) and chicken. We built our own smoker and learned how to use them. I would have to give this class both thumbs up, and toss in some toes. I would also give it 6, out of 5, stars. What a great value.

(In case some of the less reputable members of Moo U's staff start spreading rumors, I was not elected Prom Queen.)

Thanks Professor Shane.
ksace is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Yes, I will be posting some pictures a little later, did not get home until around midnight last night and too tired to process pictures but they definitely will be forthcoming as well as some of the other brethren may be posting some as there were several brethren in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0112 View Post

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
Yes, I will be posting some pictures a little later, did not get home until around midnight last night and too tired to process pictures but they definitely will be forthcoming as well as some of the other brethren may be posting some as there were several brethren in the class.
Glad you made it back ok. Sure great to "meat" you and help each other make our drums.

Great class and awesome value. Not only is it a great cooking class, you also get to take home a brand new smoker. How cool is that? You are crazy if you don't take this class if you have a chance. Shane, Scott and Vern are great people and will tell you anything you want to know about BBQ and comps. I even learned a bunch that I can apply to my backyard cooking. I guess I finally have to try trimming my butts and brisket. My wife has been after me to trim my butt, but that's a different story...
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Thanks Bigdog, it was nice to get to meet and know you and to partner with you in building our drums. Now we just got to make us some of the MooCow que!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Glad you made it back ok. Sure great to "meat" you and help each other make our drums.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a great class, can't wait to see pics of those new UDS's in action!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by majdurham View Post
Sounds like a good day Wheel. I wish there was a class like that here in my area of NC.
JD
Would you drive to Charleston SC, for a two day class?

http://www.carolinapitmasters.com/
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the write up Paul!(I did not pay him to do that) It was nice meeting you and I hope we get to see you again some time. It means alot knowing you drove 6 hours to take our class and I was especially nervous when you told me all of the other class you have attended. Sorry it took so long to reply, just trying to fight off this cold. Thanks again!
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote