Who is Famous Dave??

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
New BBQ joint openng up about a mile from my house.. Gonna be the first on ein town.. Figure its a chain because its right between Boulder Creek and Carubas. Building a brand new big ass building right between them. Famos Daves.. cant be that famous cause i never heard of it.. :) Anyone know about it?

My neighbor Famous Dave Anderson is opening one of his joints in your neck of the woods.

Famous Dave's is o.k. for chain BBQ. Nothing special to you probably. For folks who don't know Q as well as you, it's pretty good. I've tried their brisket, BB ribs and St. Louis spares. Ribs are pretty good, a little on the dry side which is fine by me. Brisket is very tender, but no ring on it at all. No real smoke flavor either. I don't believe they cook on site.

Having said that, I went to one of his restaurants last week after a trial, and enjoyed the food immensely. It's not home made, but it satisfies the itch. The sweet and zesty sauce is a staple in my home.

P.S.: kinda pricey for my taste.

BTW, Dave Anderson was appointed by W to head the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Not only is he wealthy beyond my imagination, he also has plenty of political pull.

hey if its good enuf to satisfy an itch, thats a good thing. We have another one here calle Eldorados. Big fancy BBQ joint,, 13 bucks for a scoop of pulled pork that is really questionable as to is true source. Dont think it was a pig though.

Famous Dave's is one of the best chain operations out there but it can very between locations based on the quality of the cook working the system.
Jim

We have two Famous Dave's here that opened this year. Our azbbqa met there one Saturday for lunch and everyone tried something different.We all enjoyed it and would go again.They cooked at our BnB contest last year and have quite a set up.Phil you will probably see them competing around there now that they opening a restaurant in the area :roll: (BTW they do cook onsite here)

Famous Dave's

I've had decent luck at Dave's, Q is above average for a chain.

Go just for the Bread Pudding at dessert. To die for!!

Go just for the Bread Pudding at dessert. To die for!!

There's something wrong about going to a barbeque joint and raving about bread pudding! :twisted:

Famous Dave split off from Colter's and then started swallowing them up. Their Q can be called that because there is smoke in the same room. ie a large area heated to 250 with some smoke in it. Very little smoke ring, but very consistent.(which is what you need with a bunch of acne faced teens for a crew) Sauce is excellent. BUT it is a love it or hate it affair. If you love the slow cooked meat plain with no spice you will love famous daves. If you love rubbing or brining and smoking directly, you add excellent sauce to very average que. All that said, if it weren't for the price I would eat it, but would rather have Red Hotn Blue.

Famous Dave's "Sweet and Zesty" sauce is in my sauce that I make up for pulled pork. His sauces are really pretty good by themselves, I just like to Dr. it up some.

I've been to Famous Dave's a couple of times and I'll go again. It's not home cooking but it's pretty good Q, espescially for a chain.

Had it once. Buddy of mine bought a crap load of stuff from there when I did his taxes. I'll give that experience an "OK". BTW - there have been a few threads in Q-Talk on this place. Pretty much the same reports as in this thread.

Famous Daves Sweet and Zesty, or something like that.

Good sauce.

Minnesota based.

I actually like this chain.

I like a bbq joint that has a roll of paper towels, and 4 kinds of sauce on the table.

Wood Cabin Lodge decor.

Although I'll get shot for saying this, cuz I'm in Chicago, I've had worse.

Famous Daves places well in our Naperville Ribfest.

Now if I can only get Mad_Dawg to post on this!!!

I like Dave's...best sauce is the "Devil's Spit".

Thought Famous Dave's was that Wendy's farker ?

Yeah, the Devils Spit is great! I always end of grabbing handfuls of those free sauce packets when I leave!

ckkphoto said:
Famous Dave split off from Colter's and then started swallowing them up. Their Q can be called that because there is smoke in the same room. ie a large area heated to 250 with some smoke in it. Very little smoke ring, but very consistent.(which is what you need with a bunch of acne faced teens for a crew) Sauce is excellent. BUT it is a love it or hate it affair. If you love the slow cooked meat plain with no spice you will love famous daves. If you love rubbing or brining and smoking directly, you add excellent sauce to very average que. All that said, if it weren't for the price I would eat it, but would rather have Red Hotn Blue.

You lost me at Colters. :x

Back