MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #4801
hath
On the road to being a farker

you could just burn it out again...
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #4802
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

or maybe you can wipe it down with reducer and then a quick burn.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #4803
GldnKniteofBBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Danny

yeah, i'll try those ideas first....i only put one coat on and it needed a second one (thank god i took a drink break and checked the ole discussion boards before i did that).... oh well looks like no smoked ribs tonight, gonna need to fire up the old grill for some salmon instead.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #4804
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

I found a place local that does an Alkaline dip for $30, but I wasn't real sure about the chemicals involved, so I just hit mine with the orbital sander and burned. I think I'm going to have to do another burn before it's ready to cook on since the outside top looks like it's not been heated, however, I know it was hot bottom tpo top.

Added 2 extra UBolts for the bottom rack and that made it much more stable. They aren't symetrical, but guess I'll chaulk that up for the Uglu part.

Got the hitch pins and clips installed. Realized that was a waste of $14 since my UBolts for the bottom rack have a slightly bigger space, I can lift it from the other side and it comes out fine. Guess it will be helpful if I want to pull the whole rack out with something on it.

I beat the lip down on the Weber lid to make it sit flat on the barrel, now I need to go back in the posts to find a good latch system.

Rethought my Basket and found some expanded metal.

Should be cooking on it next weekend if this next burn works to my liking. Probably just paint it black and do a logo with some red Engine Enamel if I feel like going to the effort.

Already talked to the wife, doing some Taters and ribs for the first cook. May try my first fatty as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030009.jpg (21.3 KB, 1128 views)
File Type: jpg P1030010.JPG (154.6 KB, 1131 views)
File Type: jpg P1030011.JPG (164.9 KB, 1130 views)
File Type: jpg P1030012.JPG (164.4 KB, 1129 views)

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #4805
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Dang this is a long thread but a good one. I'm at page 160 after a week can I stop and start building my UDS ? Bought a used weber today 25.00 Need to find a drum in the Charlotte NC area.
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #4806
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Ash pan, is it necessary?

I have a shop vac and coud just suck it out. And maybe a power wash every so often.

Got my Drum!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #4807
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

just my 2 cents on the pipe nipple question. 1) I used the black pipe nibbles and uncoated plugs. They rusted. If you use them, make sure to oil them often (I did not weld my nipples in - but used conduit nuts. More than once I ended up untreading the nipple rather than the cap.

2) they don't get very hot (120 maybe). I use brass now and it does not rust. I also have a piece of pvc attached to the outside to connect a fan - at the temp we are dealing with I am not even worried about the pvc.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #4808
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Ash pan, is it necessary?

I have a shop vac and coud just suck it out. And maybe a power wash every so often.

Got my Drum!
I personally do not use an ash pan. Makes cleanup super easy, but instead I just pick up my drum and dump the ash in the trash. And Ive gotten lazy enogh that I only do it if its more than an inch deep.

just my $.02

Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #4809
riznfall
Found some matches.

I built mine last friday. sry I only have 2 pics. one is welding the intake nipples in and the second is the first burn. MAn I can't wait to try this thing out

Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #4810
scoutguy74
Found some matches.

Default 85 gallon drum

This thread is awesome and even though my eyes are crossed for reading the last two days I have a question. I've scored myself an 85 gallon drum. Will 3 3/4" intakes (2 capped and 1 valve) be enough for the extra size. I plan on having 1 2.5" exhaust in the center and roughly a 17" round X 8" tall fire box.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #4811
hillbilly
Got Wood.

ive read this whole thread and i have to say i enjoyed it especialloy the pictures i have one question has any body built a uds with a small fire box on the sid offset but kept the barrel verticle thanks for input i know im crazy
hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #4812
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

ok, it is done as far as work. I rough sanded the exterior, wiped with alchohol and put a couple coats of black grill paint on it.

Now I just need to do a couple of regular burn-ins for the paint cure and hardware before getting her fired up with food.

I beat the lip on the weber down flat since I goofed the bottom and could not do a collar for it. I still need to do more beating on it to get it level and I will probable repaint it to keep it from rusting.

Check out my lid clips. They are the giat office binder clips for temporary purpose, Still need to decide a final solution for that. I also added a couple of shelf supports for a future project. I'm planning on doing another barrel and connecting them with a shelf that's big enough for at least a full size pan. Probably build a cart/wagon for them for easy moving, hopefully, that will come in the spring.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I'll be glad to find out how it cooks.

Open to any and all feed back. Want to thank everyone on here for the great info and step by step pictures/instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040013.JPG (167.1 KB, 1027 views)
File Type: jpg P1040016.JPG (163.1 KB, 1023 views)
File Type: jpg P1040021.JPG (157.7 KB, 1016 views)
File Type: jpg P1040020.jpg (19.2 KB, 1008 views)
File Type: jpg P1040019.JPG (170.2 KB, 1017 views)

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #4813
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great!

I finally did the weber lid mod on my drum today after inheriting a nice donor kettle. Fortunately, I was able to hammer the lip perfectly based on my drum's diameter, and it fits like a glove. I plan on using the kettle itself as a lid, but it's gonna take more than a hammer to accomplish that!

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #4814
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Great thinking with all the lid mods here!

It's funny, I had to use a weber lid in a pinch yesterday when i ran out of room on my primary UDS grate (!)... closed the top vent halfway and balanced the lid precariously on the drum top: the sides where the lid met the drum were leaking like a sieve, but it maintained the same temps as my flat drum lid with 8 x 1/2" holes. Who knew? :-)

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #4815
dboxx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Rust after burning and cleaning

Quick question:

finishing my UDS (pictures coming soon). Anyway, I had a reconditioned drum that had been previously bead blasted, so I drilled all the holes and welded in the 3/4 nipples. After that, I burned out the inside using an oxy acetylene torch, raising the temp on the barrel to + 500 f. once that was done I washed it with a steam cleaner.

Now for the question; My drum has rusted on the inside before I've had the chance to season it. Do I have to sand out all the rust again? or can I season it and not worry about it?

Thanks,
ps. Love this forum!
dboxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker