MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Default Trying some new lump

I have found a supplier that has B&B lump. I've never used it so I was wondering which type do you use and why? The oak, Hickory, or Mesquite? I use RO lump now but am always wanting to try something new. Or should I stick with RO. After my experience with the Cowboy stuff last weekend I'm afraid.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
BBcue-Z
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I bought two bags of B&B Oak lump charcoal and they were good. The lumps were fair size and not much waste. It started fast with minimal sparking. They were priced right at $12 per bag. The third bag I bought was terrible though
The lumps sparked so bad and made huge mess around the chimney. Now I’m reluctant to buy any more of this brand, since the quality is not very consistent.
I primarily use lump charcoal (my preference), and I like Wicked Good Charcoal (weekend warrior blend) the best, but it’s not always easy to find.
I agree with you on the Cowboy brand, it’s the worst.
BBcue-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I mostly use B&B Oak Lump. It's easy to get in my area and not very expensive. Never had an issue with it.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have been using B&B fairly exclusively since Academy Sports opened in my area this summer. They only seem to stock the Oak regularly but when they first opened they had Hickory so I bought several bags of both. The hickory is quite nice, as is the oak. The intensity of the smoke from the charcoal alone is not much to worry about. Try each of them and see what you think.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

JM Setzler,

Is there an Academy in Hickory? If so , where at? Wife has family near Cajah's Mtn. We are up that way weekly.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
JM Setzler,

Is there an Academy in Hickory? If so , where at? Wife has family near Cajah's Mtn. We are up that way weekly.
It's on Highway 70 along the main drag through there... It's in the shopping center near Valley Hills Mall... It's in the strip where Circuit City and Office Depot used to be.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Garrett
Babbling Farker

It's on Highway 70 along the main drag through there... It's in the shopping center near Valley Hills Mall... It's in the strip where Circuit City and Office Depot used to be.

Thanks I know where that is. There is one in Rockhill Sc about 40 minutes from the house but never go that way. I will wait till next week when we go to Caldwell county.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I actually live in Valdese now right off exit 111 on I40. I moved here last summer but I have lived in Hickory all my life prior to that. I was really happy to see Academy Sports come to town. They have a large selection of grills and BBQ accessories. The 20lb bags of B&B lump are $12.99 and they usually have cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite, and pecan wood chunks in bags as well...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I will make a trip there. Been looking for cherry chunks too. Thanks for the info. Wife's family lives off exit 113 just past lake Rhodhiss.

Last edited by Garrett; 11-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Misspelled words
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Bucknbacon
On the road to being a farker

Out here in Norcal I use Lazzari lump oak. I like the mesquite when I'm doing poultry though.
Bucknbacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknbacon View Post
Out here in Norcal I use Lazzari lump oak. I like the mesquite when I'm doing poultry though.
Cash & Carry, which is the same company as Iris Smart & Final carries Lazzari here in Idaho but only mesquite. I wish they had hickory but to be honest the mesquite flavor is barely distinguishable and a few chunks of hickory will take over the flavor easily.

Last edited by Wesman61; 11-30-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
aboyd
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Smile

Picked up a bag of the Hickory tonight for a weekend smoke. I have used the Oak before with good results.
aboyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

BnB oak has never failed me. Always works well.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

If you got an ace hardware near, you can buy Wicked Good Weekend warrior online and they will ship it to the store at no charge. Bit more expensive but its real good. Where i'm at its about 22 bucks for 22 pounds. The B&B I used was ok but I really wasnt too impressed.
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Wicked good is all i use anymore. I buy it by the pallet.