MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #1111
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

People take their BBQ serious.

Those compliments thought, that is when slinging food is it's best

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #1112
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Good luck with the Church crowd!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #1113
OSU725
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Oh yeah, I just called him a jackhole here to vent. It's not that I didn't appreciate his business, but most people with $100+ orders call in ahead. But he just walked in and ordered that huge order and it threw everything off.

That's just one more thing we need to plan for. We can put enough meat on to fulfill a typical lunch/dinner, but you never know when somebody is going to come in and on a whim buy their staff of 20 lunch and mess everything up.
I think everyone that has spent some time in the restaurant industry can understand how customers can get and venting is a pretty common thing. I would just recommend to try to keep it off the internet (at least with your company logo attached) you would not want word to get around that you don't appreciate your customers and speak ill of them even though it was not really the truth and was just frustration over a long day.

Good Luck!!!!
OSU725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #1114
Zona
Found some matches.

Just a reminder that its super sunday. I would expect some increased sales for the big game as well.

Congrats on kicking behind and doing "Q" right. Get some Northerners on board....
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1115
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Brisket is flying out of here. I may need to buy some beef futures.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #1116
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Meat tease

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #1117
sliding_billy

Well that made me hungry!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #1118
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

Awesome looking piece of meat. Hope you sell a ton of it today.
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #1119
ejmiller
Got Wood.

I haven't been on here in a while, so I just found this thread and read it from the beginning for the last few hours (can't remember when I started). After a while, I did start skipping ahead to marubozo posts to save time.

Fascinating and frustrating. I'm very glad it had a happy ending. I wish I lived closer.
ejmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #1120
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I wonder if Jeremy is up yet or if he'll sleep all day? Looking forward to a report on yesterday's church business

Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #1121
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
I wonder if Jeremy is up yet or if he'll sleep all day? Looking forward to a report on yesterday's church business
Thanks to my wife who scheduled our blinds to be installed at 8am, I didn't get to sleep in. Thankfully, as soon as they were done I went back to bed and just got up a few minutes ago.

Later I'm going to sit down and go through the numbers and get an idea of just how much we made, if any, and get a feel for how everything stacks up against my original estimates. Then hopefully I have some good news to report later.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #1122
Riz58

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I understand the comment about 'jackhole' and believe me, in the food service industry, the cooks, waitstaff and owners that smile and joke with you at the table, are often quite disparaging at the end of service. And the least liked, are the ones that come in with exceptional orders and expect exceptional response and could care less what it means for everyone else. Cooking IS hard work.

My local coffee shop would order in 50 bagels and 40 morning buns, and reliably, for two weeks, one guy would come in on Tue. and Thurs. and buy all of them. Leaving the coffee shop without those items for the morning. Sure, you sold out, but, you disappointed 90 customers to keep one happy. When told that these items were now limited to 4 of each, or special order, he complained, then tried to send people in, tried coming in when owner wasn't there. Finally, he trashed the shop on Yelp.

You surely can't please everyone and the days wear.
What my son did with his BBQ food truck with a customer who wanted "x" racks of ribs each week, was that he talked to the customer privately after the first time and asked if this was going to be a standing special order each week. If so, my son would cook extra ribs just for him and make sure they did not get sold. This made the customer feel special, eliminated the risk of waste or other unhappy customers for my son, and guaranteed a set amount of revenue for him that particular day.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #1123
TalonBrew

John Lewis of LA BBQ typically runs out between 1:30 and 2:30.

Aaron Franklin. Similar.

I ate at LA BBQ Wednesday and talked with John for about 45 minutes and I can assure you that , he does not consider it a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post

As some of the others have commented, I believe that the running out of food thing is a huge problem. I live in Memphis and eat BBQ at various places around town at least once a week. I have been to all of the big name places and most of the smaller, hole-in-the wall places. I also travel throughout the southeast for my job quite a bit and love finding new BBQ places to eat at while I am traveling. In over 20 years of doing this, I have been to only two BBQ joints that ran out of food before closing time.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #1124
sliding_billy

I am OK with a BBQ joint doing "until we run out" as long as the place markets itself that way. I have a choice as to whether to go there at certain times if there is a chance I will not get what I want. Of course, it also drives a longer line at open and I get to make the choice as to whether to wait in that as well. This is obviously very common around my parts. On the other hand, if a place has set hours then I expect them to have food reasonably close to closing time and expect it to be of the quality I would get earlier in the day. My favorite Q place is very successful with his multiple pull system, and though I tend to go at open I am just as comfortable going at other times of the day.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #1125
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonBrew View Post
John Lewis of LA BBQ typically runs out between 1:30 and 2:30.

Aaron Franklin. Similar.

I ate at LA BBQ Wednesday and talked with John for about 45 minutes and I can assure you that , he does not consider it a huge problem.
LA BBQ does not run out at 1:30-2:30, unless they want to. They are frequently open well into the evening.

https://twitter.com/la_Barbecue/stat...71965354188800
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote