• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Mama Mia...Now That's Italian" Throwdown!

Hey Pauli... What does Milton have to say about all this? :loco:

Well I'm embarrassed to say but my Medium has put me on COD so I wont be able to communicate with him for at least another two weeks. But if Biggie doesn't have his pole up by then I'll be sure to ask him. :thumb:

Not sure where that Avocado Society is based Toast... I dug it up from a Google search for "avocado trees in Italy". :confused: I did notice the article is dated 1950 so I wonder if they are still around. Maybe some of the Cali Brethren can weigh in on the question. Hey Pauli... What does Milton have to say about all this? :loco:

:clap: Did Milton make it?

Well I'm embarrassed to say but my Medium has put me on COD so I wont be able to communicate with him for at least another two weeks. But if Biggie doesn't have his pole up by then I'll be sure to ask him. :thumb:

:confused::confused::confused:

I must have missed something... Is Milton no longer with us/you? :shock:

Spaghetti 'n meatball

For what it's worth, I decided to take CD's advice and make BBQ spaghetti 'n meatball. The details of the cook are here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152688

Here is what it looks like:

IMG_7067a.jpg

In most cases, you will probably want to serve slices of the spaghetti 'n meatball.

IMG_7073a.jpg

We serve with fresh-grated Parmesan and grilled baby artichokes.

IMG_7072.jpg

Questo è il mio ingresso ufficiale.

I love to cook authentic Italian food that most Americans have never heard of. So, for this throwdown, I decided on Pork Braciole.

Braciole is kind of like pizza -- there are lots of ways to make it. Everyone's mama has the perfect recipe for it. I looked at dozens of recipes, and came up with my own version.

Italians use beef and pork for this, but it seems like pork is the most common, and they use pork shoulder -- pork butt. I found a few recipes that used pork loin, but most used pork butt.

I started out by slicing some butt into half-inch slices, which I pounded with a meat mallet into nice, thin pieces of meat.

picture.php

I then made a stuffing of bread crumbs, Pecorino Romano cheese, dried oregano and basil from my garden, some diced garlic, olive oil, and some Pinot Grigio wine. I spread that onto the pork.

picture.php

I rolled up the pork and stuffing, and tied it off.

picture.php

I put it on my redhead, indirect heat until the IT hit 180 degrees. It took about an hour and twenty minutes.

picture.php

When cooked, I let it rest. I sliced it and sauced it with some homemade San Marzano tomato sauce, and a little dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

picture.php

Wow. I was worried about the pork butt being fatty and chewy cooked that fast. Pffft. It was awesome. nice smoke ring and smokey flavor, tender, and really moist. Seriously, the texture completely surprised me -- it was perfect. The stuffing was really savory, and the sauce was a bright and acidic complement to the meat and stuffing.

Buon appetito!

CD

For what it's worth, I decided to take CD's advice and make BBQ spaghetti 'n meatball. The details of the cook are here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152688

Here is what it looks like:

IMG_7067a.jpg

In most cases, you will probably want to serve slices of the spaghetti 'n meatball.

IMG_7073a.jpg

We serve with fresh-grated Parmesan and grilled baby artichokes.

IMG_7072.jpg

:shocked::shocked::shocked:
:hail::hail::hail:
:clap::clap::clap:

I love to cook authentic Italian food that most Americans have never heard of. So, for this throwdown, I decided on Pork Braciole.

Braciole is kind of like pizza -- there are lots of ways to make it. Everyone's mama has the perfect recipe for it. I looked at dozens of recipes, and came up with my own version.

Italians use beef and pork for this, but it seems like pork is the most common, and they use pork shoulder -- pork butt. I found a few recipes that used pork loin, but most used pork butt.

I started out by slicing some butt into half-inch slices, which I pounded with a meat mallet into nice, thin pieces of meat.

picture.php

I then made a stuffing of bread crumbs, Pecorino Romano cheese, dried oregano and basil from my garden, some diced garlic, olive oil, and some Pinot Grigio wine. I spread that onto the pork.

picture.php

I rolled up the pork and stuffing, and tied it off.

picture.php

I put it on my redhead, indirect heat until the IT hit 180 degrees. It took about an hour and twenty minutes.

picture.php

When cooked, I let it rest. I sliced it and sauced it with some homemade San Marzano tomato sauce, and a little dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

picture.php

Wow. I was worried about the pork butt being fatty and chewy cooked that fast. Pffft. It was awesome. nice smoke ring and smokey flavor, tender, and really moist. Seriously, the texture completely surprised me -- it was perfect. The stuffing was really savory, and the sauce was a bright and acidic complement to the meat and stuffing.

Buon appetito!

CD

:shocked::shocked::shocked:
:hail::hail::hail:
:clap::clap::clap:

I just happened to cook some pizza on the LBGE this past Saturday. Saw caseydog's post in QTalk, so figured I would submit an entry.

Fired up the egg with some small pecan logs. Got to christen my new mini Weber starter chimney.

IMAG1231.jpg

Threw in some orange peels too just to see what the aroma would be like. It was pretty nice - kind of like aromatherapy when starting a cook.

IMAG1232.jpg

I'm cheaping out on the egg accessories. Returned the platesetter, Set a Weber 18.5" cooking grate on top of the fire ring. Set a clay saucer on that. Two bricks went next, then the stock BGE cooking grid on top. Found a Pampered Chef pizza stone at a garage sale, and put that on top of the BGE grid. The BGE ceramic feet are not made anymore, so I laid some clay pot feet from Lowes on the stone. Had to go sideways since my BGE pizza stone is bigger than the Pampered Chef stone. BGE stone went on the very top.

IMAG1236.jpg

IMAG1238.jpg

Cut up the groceries and laid them out to make assembling the pies easier. I used Alton Brown's recipe from the Food Network site.

IMAG1251.jpg

I figured the egg was hot enough when i saw this happening:
IMAG1240.jpg

The thermo had lapped itself, so I was pretty sure it was hot! Choked it down to stabilize at ~650°F after this.
IMAG1250.jpg

First pie was a margherita. This is the only pic I have of the cooked pies, so it will have to do. This is my entry for this throwdown:
IMAG1252.jpg

The pies were very tasty! The crust was nice and thin and crispy. I didn't know about the throwdown, otherwise I would have put more effort into taking better pics, but it was one of those nights when eating took a back seat to photography.

Thanks for looking!

Dude, how much of that were you able to eat?

That looks seriously tasty, but also appears to match the density of a farking bowling ball. If I ate a slice of that, I'd need a three-day nap -- or a trip to the farking ER. :shock:

CD

C'mon, CD, I'm sure you've made or at least eaten lasagna before. This is really just a modification. The center is very much like the ricotta layer, except the noodles are mixed in. It's actually quite light. The only dense part is the outer meat sausage, but I needed that dense to hold the shape and to keep it from exploding. That was a full three pounds of sausage, so it's good size. It actually reminded me of pastitsio, except the seasoning was different, of course, and the spaghetti-ricotta layer was much better than bechamel. Incidentally, I made that on Sunday and I finished the last of it yesterday for lunch.

Last edited:
Just make sure you punch a whole in the can before throwing them on the cooker. Otherwise...
4292028847_9bf4914512_z.jpg

he He .
I use to run camps for kids using old country schools.
Self saucing pudding in a can makes a mess when it goes bang.
Jam (jelly I think )all over the ceiling.
cheers.
Titch

Please use the close-up photo as my team entry in this TD.
:

Too bad the second photo wouldn't show up in quote. Anyway, the plating looked lovely. Your wife had a great idea for using the leftover heat, I'm going to borrow that. The meatballs looked really good and I love roasted cauliflower.

Last edited:
Back