MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I still chuckle at all the gnashing of teeth over need to cook 2 pork butts to get a money muscle.

Pork butts are cheap and we have never had this problem with the pork butts.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The push on this rule is for food safety. My pork is so hot coming out of the Cambo, it will give you third degree burns. If KCBS was so worried about food safety, a hard rule would have been implemented banning CBJ's from taking food out from the judging tent. Rules are being changed for a minority of cooks to allegedly re-heat their pork. I find the poll on the other forum as very interesting.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Scottie - AMEN!!!!!!! SO FARKING WHAT, if some folks can't get what they want out of 1 or 2 butts. Learn to do it or buy more meat. This is like lowering test scores so "no child get's left behind". We know how that worked out.

Or, in the case of the St. Louis Fire department, lowering the standards for Captains tests for minorities. REALLY??? I'd rather have the smart ones (don't care what color) saving my arse.......doesn't KCBS want the best cooks? Nope, they want more cooks because that = $$. Hmmmm.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #34
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Scottie - AMEN!!!!!!! SO FARKING WHAT, if some folks can't get what they want out of 1 or 2 butts. Learn to do it or buy more meat. This is like lowering test scores so "no child get's left behind". We know how that worked out.

Or, in the case of the St. Louis Fire department, lowering the standards for Captains tests for minorities. REALLY??? I'd rather have the smart ones (don't care what color) saving my arse.......doesn't KCBS want the best cooks? Nope, they want more cooks because that = $$. Hmmmm.
But without That

You dont get this,

Sponsored By:
Gateway BBQ Store
Blues Hog BBQ Company
Plowboys BBQ Company
So everyone wants BBQ to grow

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Great Point!!!!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

My brain hurts and I have my first 2013 KCBS cook this weekend...
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

It is just one more step towards pacifying those cooks who don't know how to BBQ.

KCBS continues to prove that they are seeking the largest audience and number of teams possible, without any regards to the traditions of what makes BBQ...BBQ.

I gave up my KCBS membership in 2011, and with the current trend, I doubt I will ever have one again.

However I will continue to support traditional bbq, it's history and it's methods...all while you folks go out there and roast, braise and grill your meat in KCBS competitions.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #38
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
It is just one more step towards pacifying those cooks who don't know how to BBQ.

KCBS continues to prove that they are seeking the largest audience and number of teams possible, without any regards to the traditions of what makes BBQ...BBQ.

I gave up my KCBS membership in 2011, and with the current trend, I doubt I will ever have one again.

However I will continue to support traditional bbq, it's history and it's methods...all while you folks go out there and roast, braise and grill your meat in KCBS competitions.

bold emphasis above mine which equate to absurd, bold stroke, all encompassing statments.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
bold emphasis above mine which equate to absurd, bold stroke, all encompassing statments.

Yes...I am the master of absurd, bold, all encompassing statements

It is my opinion that KCBS lost their way long ago, and they no longer represent true BBQ.

Bold or absurd - it is truth, as I see it.

Now am I suggesting that no one in KCBS can cook BBQ?
No..that is not what i said.

However if there are 1,000 cooks that are actual pitmasters, and 10,000 cooks who are not, but would love to give KCBS their money...who do you think KCBS is pandering to?

Again it is my opinion, that what is on the competition circuit these days is a long ways from BBQ.

Candied ribs, cupcake chicken & grilled pork is not bbq for example, at least not the way I see it..and this was the point of my post.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #40
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

For me personally, I really don't care what the rule is...I just want it to be clear and definitive.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Several posters have alluded to food safety as a concern for the rule change. This would only be a problem if the product were held for more than 3 hours and 59 minutes in the unsafe zone of 41 degrees F to 135 degrees F (numbers a lot of us live by day after day.) The time from turn in to judging is less than 30 minutes and most cooks spend 20 minutes prepping their box. If turn in for pork is 1:30 then the pork can be taken off the cooker and placed on a table at 10 am and still be within the servsafe guidelines when the judge eats his sample. Just saying, that is a non-issue on this subject.

For the purist out there that want the product to be hot when the judge samples it, go judge a contest and see how hot the product is after being opened, judged for appearance, passed around and sample placed on tray and this is times six boxes. It is then sampled one at a time. I would venture to say that by the time the judge actually tastes the product, it will be close to ambient temp.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #42
deguerre

Quote:

It is my opinion that KCBS lost their way long ago, and they no longer represent true BBQ.

However if there are 1,000 cooks that are actual pitmasters, and 10,000 cooks who are not, but would love to give KCBS their money...who do you think KCBS is pandering to?

Again it is my opinion, that what is on the competition circuit these days is a long ways from BBQ.

Candied ribs, cupcake chicken & grilled pork is not bbq for example, at least not the way I see it..and this was the point of my post.
Living in Memphis since 1976, I didn't even know about KCBS until joining this site, and I NEVER suspected chicken was BBQ...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Then perhaps leave the "while you folks" comments out of your posts and direct it at KCBS.

I cook what needs to be cooked at competitions according to the rules provided, call it BBQ or not.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Truthfully, I think someone but a bug in someones ear about wanting to set sauce on the money muscle. That's my feeling.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #45
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
No offense taken and no offense to you...

Do you submit burnt ends?
All valid points, thanks for playing.

No I don't turn in burnt ends. I did once last year and got slammed for it at the final table in Vegas.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote