MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
nthole
Babbling Farker

Based on the last contest I was at, 600 lbs of sandbags, 1 truck, 3 coolers and 3 200lb humans.

That will keep it mostly down.

We put 2 50 lb sandbags on each corner. Carry two extra two put on the bottom of any sides we strap on.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Rob Albach
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks all for the many replies...Looks like I'm going with 3 2.5 gallon containers(75lbs)(duct taped together) per corner... I like the 5 gallon bucket idea but not too keen on trying to track down a water source...(or haul it too far) I have a bum knee just bareley gettin around as it is. Between my truck and trailer I have enough space for the containers. Thanks again...:)

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Might I suggest you put your name and address on the canopy so whom ever finds it, can mail it back
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, that was the wildest I've seen yet. Whiskey Bent lost 3 canopies, I know of at least 3 other teams that lost canopies. I got mine down about 15 minutes before it hit.

I will be buying 4 five gallon buckets this week but I agree with Tim, get them down if at all possible before the really bad stuff rolls in.

Russ

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

At salisbury this year we used four buckets and a heavy gust picked the entire thing up and moved it several feet. The landing bent one of the legs and we were just 2 minutes from taking it down.

Definitely take them down when it gets crazy!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Spent last Sat. night in Vegas. The wind was howling all night long. The drive home yesterday was brutal also. I'll be taking the EZ-Up sandbags and 5 gallon buckets just in case.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

If it gets THAT windy, you might want to take the roof off to save your EZ-Up. Had we done that at Elk Grove a couple years ago, as others did, ours wouldn't have broken. Last thing I want is for my canopy to get loose and hurt someone or their property! We started using 3 foot sections of 4" PVC pipe, filled with concrete with an I-bolt at one end. They seem to work really well, but once you get to near-tornadic wind, I think it's best to pull the roof. (assuming you are able at that point)
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Albach View Post
Thanks all for the many replies...Looks like I'm going with 3 2.5 gallon containers(75lbs)(duct taped together) per corner... I like the 5 gallon bucket idea but not too keen on trying to track down a water source...(or haul it too far) I have a bum knee just bareley gettin around as it is. Between my truck and trailer I have enough space for the containers. Thanks again...:)
OK

I know Vegas is in the desert, but won't they have a water source for you? Interesting.

I've seen folks make anchor weights out of PVC pipes filled with concrete (looked like they were 4" or 6" pipes and about a foot long). They had an eye-bolt in there so they could use a rope.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
Rob Albach
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
OK

I know Vegas is in the desert, but won't they have a water source for you? Interesting.

I've seen folks make anchor weights out of PVC pipes filled with concrete (looked like they were 4" or 6" pipes and about a foot long). They had an eye-bolt in there so they could use a rope.
Water at a competition is a pretty big deal!! I'm sure they'll work out the water/ash/grease/trash plans right after they figure out the intense CRAZY dynamics of publishing a team list

I've seen those PVC pipe setups, they look pretty good...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

We use four cinder blocks.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

They sell sand-filled canopy weights specifically for this purpose. They are tall and thin and don't take up to much room at the corners. In an emergency, remove the fabric cover and let it fly.

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #27
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Agree that water buckets are the best solution. Fixed weights may look prettier, but a four bucks a gallon for fuel I'll go with the lightweight option all day long.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
They sell sand-filled canopy weights specifically for this purpose. They are tall and thin and don't take up to much room at the corners. In an emergency, remove the fabric cover and let it fly.

What he said!!! I got mine from the EZ-UP website..about 39 bucks for two...But they are worth it!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #29
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Had a contest in April that got a little crazy- 5 gallon bucket of water on each leg and they were still lifting. Finally attached a bungee cord to the center, pulled up a chair, and as "SpeedRcer1" noted- "I looked like a kid holding a baloon". All our equipment made it but some teams lost some canopies.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote