MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Scott_nra
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Grinder for rubs

Gonna get me a grinder for making my rubs. I've got a few good ones (Rubs that is) and want some advice on the grind. Would a finer grind be better or a corser grind?

Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?

When I make my rubs, the biggest thing I am looking for is grinding the celery seed, Rosemary and oregano for mixing in good and cutting loose flavor.

Who's got some rub advice? I know about all the great rubs already made, but part of my adventure is developing my own, and I think I have a few really good ones now. They need a final grind instead of braking up stuff with spoons and rolling pins.
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

If you're doing small batches, a good mortar and pestle would work. You'll be surprised how often you will use it once you start thinking of what it could be useful for.

For larger quantities, I would think a spice/coffee grinder is what you'd be looking for. Just be sure if you grind your own coffee, to get two units...one for coffee and one for spices.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
jawpaul
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in a similar boat. Right now I just have a small hand pepper grinder and a mortar and pestle. On large batches an electric grinder would be wander. I am also wonder what sort of effect the size of the grind has on the rub.

I know 'funk does an all large grains on the final layer of his tri-layer rub, so it does play a role.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

+1 on the coffee grinder.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

I've been using a coffee grinder for about 4 years now.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON View Post
I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...
There you have it. Actually some Burr grinders have "feeding" problems. I'd go with a simple spinning blade model. Make sure to label it though...

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

+1 Coffee grinder.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grill Sergeant View Post
+1 Coffee grinder.
Coffee grinder is the way to go. You can get a basic one for $15-$20. Here is the model I use for my spices. Works awesome.

Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach 80344 Custom Grind 15 Cup Coffee Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wGUnaBl2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41wGUnaBl2L
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Coffee grinder user here I even use it to make chipotle powder from whole pods, works great.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
nitelightboy
Knows what a fatty is.

I was looking at getting a coffee grinder too. But my wife bought one of those Magic Bullets, so I've just been using that with good results.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_nra View Post
Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?
Think size. Smaller particles will tend to lose their flavor quicker, larger will last longer. Like table salt vs Kosher salt.

I also find that a lot of powders just taste "off". I use granulated in my rubs when I can.

Seasonings tend to lose their flavor the longer they cook, that's why it tastes one way right out of the bottle but another after cooking.

I also reapply seasoning at the end to add more fresh flavor.

I just use a coffee grinder.

Herbs/spices are just like flowers, the longer they are exposed to air the quicker they lose their "scent". Use a grind to freshen them up and expose the inner parts of the herb/spice.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Coffee grinder here too. I use it all the time. Just made popcorn salt with it last night.
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The only advantage I can see for a burr grinder for spices is repeatability. With a blade grinder it is hard to get the same results twice. But, as Oakpit mentioned, a burr grinder can have feed problems with spices since they rely on gravity, and the lighter spices may not drop into the burrs properly.

I use a blade grinder that is dedicated to spices and it works well for home use. If you have a Goodwill store or similar resale store nearby just to there. The local Goodwill seems to have at lest on on the shelf every time I go there and they are usually a couple of bucks. You can use Minute Rice to give it a good cleaning.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I use a coffee grinder dedicated just for spices. The only downside I have with it, is getting any kind of uniformity. For instance, grinding whole peppercorns. You get everything from dust to chunks. I've often run it thru a sieve then re-grind the courser pieces. Still best thing that I've found

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote