IBCA cookoff-chicken

Mike in Corpus

Reaction score
I'm entered in a IBCA cookoff for March 28th. I have to turn in 1/2 chicken so I have been experimenting cooking it @ 350 deg. for 1 hour spatchcocked. I cut it in half @ 50 min and cook for another 10 min so the skin dosen't draw up around the breast. I get excellent results with a flavor profile of Lea & Perrins chicken marinade, dizzzy Pig and Montreal steak seasoning rub, and Blues Hog sauce. Question is, I still can't get bite thru skin. Should I cook longer, hotter? I'm trying to get at 165 deg breast and 180 deg. thighs at the same time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since in IBCA competitions the judge uses a knife and fork, you don't necessary need bite through skin.

Crisp the chicke over high heat, skin side down at the last momeent before turn in. I had the same issue so I had a grill added on the Gator Pit to crisp chiicken and ribs.

After marinating remove and cover with a paper towel or two and leave to dry in the fridge over night. Dry skin and higher heat equals bite thru.

After marinading, are you letting the chicken air dry in the fridge?

After marinating remove and cover with a paper towel or two and leave to dry in the fridge over night. Dry skin and higher heat equals bite thru.

After marinading, are you letting the chicken air dry in the fridge?

That only works for him if he has a fridge on site. He can't marinade the chicken in advance.

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much about the skin, since the first couple of judges will destroy it with their knife and fork. If it's going to cause you to toss and turn at night, you can scrape the fat, pin the skin, and cook at a higher temp.

Well I guess you can cooler it for as long as you can as long as it's as dry as can be. Sorry I wrote my reply when I woke up today.

Back