So this is how you buy a Black Angus Steer

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is how we do it! you find 3 other people or buy the whole thing for yourself. You split everything as close to even as possible when dividing it up. Then when everyone is done you can say time to barter. I know it goofy buy some people want more burger than roasts ect. The one were doing is 1124lbs Usable meat will be in the 800's so here is the math. Remember the sale is on live weight not butchered. 1124lbs x $1.65 a lb = $1854.00 Processing is $262.72 Total Cost $2117.32 /4 = $529.33 That is $2.64 lb! Try to buy 200lbs of raised beef that you can eat the day it is butchered after hanging for 2 weeks for that amount. I do add $10.00 for gas and ice. This is one of the past on

IMG_0533-1.jpg

Nice breakdown. That one still looks a little rare.

Also, how do you split up stuff between 4 people before bartering when there are say only 2 briskets, 2 tri tips, etc?

Colonel, the obvious answer is that you invite only people you know who want steaks. Then you manipulate the trading by saying "now, you all have some of that crappy brisket or chuck roast, who wants to trad 4 lbs of steak for a crappy brisket?"

Nice breakdown. That one still looks a little rare.

Also, how do you split up stuff between 4 people before bartering when there are say only 2 briskets, 2 tri tips, etc?

Always leave until last those cuts put names in a hat and pick a name then they get first choice of what is left! :thumb: Keep pulling names until gone. Also never invite 3 other Brethren. Ground is in 1lb packages and alway the first too divide.

IMG_1168.jpg

Where do you have it processed?

I have been buying beef with a friend for several years now, I get half he gets half....we split the bill. The butcher will do it like we want it.

Colonel, the obvious answer is that you invite only people you know who want steaks. Then you manipulate the trading by saying "now, you all have some of that crappy brisket or chuck roast, who wants to trad 4 lbs of steak for a crappy brisket?"

Obviously, I don't know what I was thinking :tsk:

Always leave until last those cuts put names in a hat and pick a name then they get first choice of what is left! :thumb: Keep pulling names until gone. Also never invite 3 other Brethren. Ground is in 1lb packages and alway the first too divide.

IMG_1168.jpg

Thanks, I have thought about doing this in the past and always wondered about the different ways people divide up the meat.

Angus is the best in my opinion. Being taht I was raised on a cattle ranch, that really does not look like a "steer" to me. If you notice it still has his, well do-dads.

Did they grind up the tri-tip?

No! They Slaughter on Tuesday hang then usually the following Tuesdayday they call and ask how we want it Sliced and diced. Then the next monday it will be butchered and ready for pickup. Also if you want anything special done like Korean Short ribs (Which I taught them) Marrow bone, Ox Tail or the Moo.... Very thorough and Awesomely clean...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Angus is the best in my opinion. Being taht I was raised on a cattle ranch, that really does not look like a "steer" to me. If you notice it still has his, well do-dads.

That photo was in July and didn't slaughter until Oct. That was a few years back. Also we take pictures of all the ones we buy. Some we buy and have the whole thing ground into burger.And your right....

Yup

I will PM you

We can get ours done just about anyway we want...

1lb or 2lb bags of burger (or even paties for extra cost)
steak as thick as we like... I like ours thick but my friend likes his thin...

The last one I ended up with 438 lbs and including processing was 2.29/ lb

We can get ours done just about anyway we want...

1lb or 2lb bags of burger (or even paties for extra cost)
steak as thick as we like... I like ours thick but my friend likes his thin...

The last one I ended up with 438 lbs and including processing was 2.29/ lb

Same with us but corn and beef prices are way up. When was the last one?

I think it was March or April when we did the last one....

This one will last a while, my two wolves aren't here as much. The oldest moved out (he still comes over to eat sometimes) but the youngest has been working out of town all summer and will be going back to school at the end of this month.
I sure miss them but my grocery bill has been cut in half! :)

We do the same thing during deer season. We give the all the harvested deer to my uncle then he takes it to 2 different butchers (ones that have specially item we like ie: sausage, jerkey) then when it is all done he picks it up. We then go to his house to split the bill and divide up the meat as evenly as possible then we trade/barter.

I think it was March or April when we did the last one....

This one will last a while, my two wolves aren't here as much. The oldest moved out (he still comes over to eat sometimes) but the youngest has been working out of town all summer and will be going back to school at the end of this month.
I sure miss them but my grocery bill has been cut in half! :)

Yup beef was lower then! I will send my 2 football playing Ssons an there teams to help you out. You will also need about 25 Gallons of Milk and 25 of Koolaid

Back