MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Default The APL wing recipe is AWESOME

I had been spying the APL wing recipe for quite some time, and finally got to it this weekend. Sorry guys no pron the typhoon was a couple hours away so the wind was pushing 30+ and that sideways rain that everybody just loves. So, I prepped everything, only difference is I used less salt. I love a ton of garlic on my hot wings so I ran 5 cloves (okay, it was more than that) of garlic through the garlic press. The effort to make these was well worth it, everybody loved em! Without a doubt the best wings I have ever had. Everybody felt the same. I made 5lb of wings and those suckers were gone in just a couple minutes.

When I make em again I am going to cut out the salt and see how they taste with only the garlic salt in it. Maybe from there I might cut back the garlic salt and replace with powder.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds great! Did you get any pics? The Wing Throwdown ends tonight at midnight Central US time, or Monday, August 8, 2011 at 05:00:00 UTC.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Sounds killer. Your certainly feedin' them right over there
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Impressive in the face of a typhoon and 30 mph winds and rain. Good thing you aren't closer to border - might start an international incident with the North crossing over to get some of that.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

I have tried about 10 recipes from his book, but haven't tried the wings yet. That is probably my fave bbq book ever, his recipes are pretty involved but well worth it.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

APL is a carnivorous genius. His book Serious Barbecue is a masterpiece.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
gtr

I believe you. Everything I've made out of Serious BBQ so far has been great. He's great about the whole layering flavors thing.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I believe you. Everything I've made out of Serious BBQ so far has been great. He's great about the whole layering flavors thing.
Amen! Gotta layer the lurve!

John

Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I've been looking at getting this book, I've wanted to add some bbq books to my library. Its its to try something new once in a while. Glad to here the wings turned out great!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

His book, BBQ 25 is a great condensed version of Serious Barbecue.

I've reviewed both and they are great.

Serious Barbecue review

BBQ 25 review

John

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Sounds great! Did you get any pics? The Wing Throwdown ends tonight at midnight Central US time, or Monday, August 8, 2011 at 05:00:00 UTC.
Well first, I wish I would have payed attention to the TD forum more often, didnt know there was a wing TD! And the weather was (STILL IS ) too crappy for pron.

Those of you guys that love wings and have not tried this one, you really need to cause they are truly amazing. Only drawback to this is everybody EXPECTS greatness from me now cause of the couple recipes that I have tried were awesome!
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote