MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First Pastrami, any tips?

I decided to throw in a little 3# corned beef brisket along with some ribs this weekend. I just glanced at some recipes on the web and decided to just wing it. For the rub, I used the little spics packet that comes with the corned beef and added: paprika, black pepper and mustard powder. I smoked it at 250-ish for a few hours then wrapped in foil and cooked in the oven a bit (trying to render the fat cap as much as possible). Finally crisped up the bark in a 300* oven for 10 minutes or so.

Came out decent, I think I cooked it too long as it was fall apart, but good flavor. slightly salty, I might soak the next one in water for a few hours first.

Crappy cell phone pic, just rye and dijon mustard.

Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Looks good! Soaking for 24 - 48 hours will help with the salt. Change the water a few times and toss a small potato cut in half in to help absorb the salt.

Also, chilling it before slicing makes it easier to get nice thin slices (if that's what you want).

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool, thanks! I was just guessing at soaking it first since I didn't see anyone doing it in any of the recipes I read. But I know that's what they do with cod so....

I took the rest to work with me, the wife is going to be pretty pissed. Im sure I'll be doing another one this weekend. lol

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now you're hooked!

In addition to Ron's good advice, I strongly suggest reading Brother Thirdeye's blog on Pastrami.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Im in the middle of prepping for my first pastrami. I started with raw brisket and cured it myself into corned beef. I put the rub on on Monday and plan on throwing it in my smoker either thursday night after work or early Friday morning!
northernrescue3321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

+1 on the soak out. The first 2 pastrami I did were a bit salty, I've soaked out for at least 8 hours on each since and they have been much better.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrescue3321 View Post
Im in the middle of prepping for my first pastrami. I started with raw brisket and cured it myself into corned beef. I put the rub on on Monday and plan on throwing it in my smoker either thursday night after work or early Friday morning!
Nice! Can't wait to see your results! I'm going to try one more store bought corned beef, larger in size and a better rub. If it comes out good (how can it not, lol) I might try starting with a fresh brisket.

Oh, and BTW - my wife was pretty ticked off I ate the rest. She actually seriously yelled at me.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Cheese View Post
Nice! Can't wait to see your results! I'm going to try one more store bought corned beef, larger in size and a better rub. If it comes out good (how can it not, lol) I might try starting with a fresh brisket.

Oh, and BTW - my wife was pretty ticked off I ate the rest. She actually seriously yelled at me.

The biggest issue with the fresh brisket is the time and cost. Don't get me wrong if this turns out right im doing it again. But the spices alone costed me approx 120-150. Now granted I am a little retarted and for my first time making this decided to make it for about 40 people so I am making 70lbs worth.

I have always live by the saying "Go big or go hoe"!!! lol, I should have pics up by the end of the weekend
northernrescue3321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Default Make your own corn beef

Make your own. It is seriously easy and will be the best tasting one you've ever had I bet. The cool thing is, you don't even need to use brisket. Get another fatty, stringy, sinewy, cut that is on sale (like beef short ribs for example) and you can corn and smoke it as well.

All you need is some space in your fridge, a plastic bag or container to hold your meat, and some pink salt (cure #1) or Morton's Tender Quick and whatever spices you want. Brine it earlier in the week and smoke it on the weekend with a pepper/coriander rub (traditional) or make up your own.

You can control the salt content if you do it yourself and it won't be super salty like the store brands. Also, you'll get more bang for your buck. Store bought corned beef in those cryo-packs is injected and placed in a salt brine so that up to 1/3 of the weight in the package is just salt water solution.

There are recipes abound on the interweb on how to do this, I use my modified version of Micheal Ruhlman's.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote