MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default UDS build question

I know that there is an extensive UDS thread...and I've read a lot of it, but don't know if this has been addressed. If so, please forgive me for rehashing it.
I don't have the materials to build a fire basket, nor the know-how, I guess. I also don't know how I can get one made around here. So, I am wondering if I could get by with using something like a Weber Smokey Joe to hold the fire????

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I started out using an old wire milk crate. I have seen a picture on here where someone else used an egg basket.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
I know that there is an extensive UDS thread...and I've read a lot of it, but don't know if this has been addressed. If so, please forgive me for rehashing it.
I don't have the materials to build a fire basket, nor the know-how, I guess. I also don't know how I can get one made around here. So, I am wondering if I could get by with using something like a Weber Smokey Joe to hold the fire????
If you can find some expanded metal, boar clips, and charcoal grate you should be able to put something together for yourself.

I took a charcoal grate from a kettle and wrapped expanded around it 6" high and attached the two with those boar clips.

I am sure you could find a fabricator that could throw something together for you.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

You'll need a piece of expanded metal 6" to 10" wide, about 44" long, available at most welding shops. Roll it around an old propane tank to form it. Use the charcoal grate from an old webber for the bottom and use some bolts and washers and wire to hold it together and support it off the bottom of the barrel. You can do it. I must admit however, I would have used one of those milk crates if I could have found one.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Home Depot or Lowe's carries everything you need...The expanded metal, the bolts, the charcoal grates...just wear gloves when handling the expanded metal...it can get sharp.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Try calling some of the welding shops in either Peoria or in Bloomington/Normal. One of them should have some scrap laying about. Don't rule out metal recycling/scrap yards either.

I got a 16" x 54" piece locally from a welding shop for $5.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin Querve View Post
Try calling some of the welding shops in either Peoria or in Bloomington/Normal. One of them should have some scrap laying about. Don't rule out metal recycling/scrap yards either.

I got a 16" x 54" piece locally from a welding shop for $5.

Chris
Yeah, when I went to the shop to get some expanded metal, he already had some smaller baskets made up for people to use in gassers.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crüe-B-Cüe View Post
Home Depot or Lowe's carries everything you need...The expanded metal, the bolts, the charcoal grates...
Be prepared for blank stares when you ask for expanded metal at Home Depot though - even though I know they sell it, I was told by two sales 'associates' and 'the guy who does all the ordering for the store' that 'there's no such thing.' Even though I'd purchased it at other Home Depots - I'd forgotten what department it was in. Wound up buying it on Ebay...

Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Jethro
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Be prepared for blank stares when you ask for expanded metal at Home Depot though - even though I know they sell it, I was told by two sales 'associates' and 'the guy who does all the ordering for the store' that 'there's no such thing.' Even though I'd purchased it at other Home Depots - I'd forgotten what department it was in. Wound up buying it on Ebay...
The orange box has it in their small "bulk steel" section with the threaded rod and such.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
REZVORDWG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Basket

I made a quick cheap basket. Get your expanded metal from most large hardwear stores or metal fab. shops. Get some 1/4 in. bolts,nuts and flat washers for sides. Get 4, 1/2 in. bolts, flat washers and nuts for the legs, 4 inches long at least. Draw it out on paper so you dont make any costly mistakes. When you decide how wide and how tall, cut a peice that will be the two sides and the bottom, bend it twice for those three sides. Cut two more pieces, add two inches for the sides, one inch for the bottom on each one. Make those bends and bolt the thing together. Wah-La... If not you can go with the round style as stated in one of the other posts. If you go to the metal fab shop, Im sure they would shear the expanded metal for you, even the bends can be done there. I'll post a couple of pics...... Rez

Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
REZVORDWG

Default basket pic

pic of basket for UDS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basket 1.JPG (132.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Basket 2.JPG (132.8 KB, 49 views)

Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
REZVORDWG

Default basket

Basket for UDS ( TRUDY )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basket 3.JPG (143.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Basket 4, Pat. Pen..JPG (143.4 KB, 49 views)

Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
REZVORDWG

Default Basket

Trudy and soon to be ( Unknown name here ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS Pair.JPG (108.7 KB, 48 views)

Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Nice work.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
REZVORDWG

Default Basket

Trudy is on youtube. My channel is, Rezvordwg, the vid is, Blues, Booze and BBQ. You can see the basket loaded, and fired. ....Rez