• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS awards ceremony question

Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest. If you are that important or have that many things to do, that you have to run out from a contest, then don't go. It was done at Thom's contest and it was bullsh!t. that team should of planned his time better. Can't hang around for an extra 2 hours for awards? Too bad.

Pretty harsh. You NEVER know why people have to leave. We've left a contest right after the last turn in because a snowstorm was coming and we wanted to get home safely. We've left a contest after last turn in because I promised Brent I'd be home on Sunday to do something with him. We've never left DURING an awards ceremony. It's not a respect thing by any means, it could be something as simple as making a promise to your child and not wanting to let them down. Don't knock folks for leaving when you don't know their situation.:tsk:

Last edited:
Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest.

You'll probably disagree with me on this, but some times the organizers deserve little to no respect. Recently I was at a competition where I was told I'd be allowed to leave right after awards on Saturday. When it came time to start to pack up shortly before awards, I was told I'd have to wait until 23:00 that night before I could leave. I walked out before awards and won't ever do that competition again. Ruined my schedule, and cost me money.

Another time I was at a Sat-Sun comp where a rep got sick and pushed back awards by over an hour, followed by an announcer who had no respect for those of us who were already late and had to leave and dragged the ceremony out anther hour longer than it should have been. I stayed for that one, but I was in line to get my score sheet after not getting any calls - I still had a 5+ hour drive home before work the next day. To make matters worst, they never printed my score sheet and couldn't figure out how to work the computer to reprint. I swore I wouldn't go back to that one, but fortunately it was the last year.

I think it's a two way street. Teams should show respect to organizers, reps, and other teams, but the organizers and reps should show respect and honesty to the teams as well. You get what you give. I think that if a team sticks around for the awards, they should stick around for all of the awards, barring unusual circumstances. I don't see teams get up to leave too often, but score sheet retrieval is not uncommon.

dmp

Personally I think it is disrespectful to leave early. “You buy the ticket, you take the ride”. However, it does go both ways. It is very frustrating to me and other teams when award ceremonies are delayed – for any reason. We plan our schedules accordingly and allow an extra hour for BS. I just don’t think you should leave in the middle of the award ceremonies. If you have to, stand way in the back so you don’t make a spectacle of yourself.

OK -- I'm guilty in Vermillion. I got up before the GC was announced, but I was sitting right next to them (I seem to have a habit of sitting next to GC or RGC at awards). Big Congrats to PigDawg!!!

I had to drive 200 miles before dark, so I hightailed it out of there pretty quick. I did thank the organizer before the awards. Sometimes there are circumstances that mean you gotta split quick whether you want to or not.

Pretty harsh. You NEVER know why people have to leave. We've left a contest right after the last turn in because a snowstorm was coming and we wanted to get home safely. We've left a contest after last turn in because I promised Brent I'd be home on Sunday to do something with him. We've never left DURING an awards ceremony. It's not a respect thing by any means, it could be something as simple as making a promise to your child and not wanting to let them down. Don't knock folks for leaving when you don't know their situation.:tsk:

But if you know the reason for folks to be leaving early, I think you can knock them? So I am not really sure it is harsh? Now if you don't know the reason and you go slamming teams, that's not right.

To me, when a organizer calls a team and they aren't at awards, that is disrespectful to the contest and the organizer...

To me, when a organizer calls a team and they aren't at awards, that is disrespectful to the contest and the organizer...

We'll agree to disagree??? :wink:

I don't find it disrespectful to leave, if I choose to do so, when WE paid to enter the contest, paid for the meat, paid for the travel, etc.

We'll agree to disagree??? :wink:

I don't find it disrespectful to leave, if I choose to do so, when WE paid to enter the contest, paid for the meat, paid for the travel, etc.

Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.

Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.

Nice. Just to clarify, I was the one in the BACKGROUND.

Sure, it was on national television so you probably feel that you can judge me based on that, which is your prerogative, but, you don't KNOW me. I can't control the actions of others and I'm not going to defend myself over something that I didn't do.

Last edited:
But if you know the reason for folks to be leaving early, I think you can knock them? So I am not really sure it is harsh? Now if you don't know the reason and you go slamming teams, that's not right.

Tough call. I left early from a contest this year to coach my kids little league game. A team-mate did stay for awards. I think its OK once in a great while if discussed with the contest organizer in advance and check in before you leave.

Are you kidding me? Help me understand the value your comment had in this conversation?

The value of my comment is that it comes down to “respect”. Whether you are at a competition, TV event, child’s baseball game, or any other event, it’s called good sportsmanship. Eat some humble pie regardless of how great you are or how great you think you are.

To leave an event early is disrespectful to the organizer and the other teams, in addition to poor sportsmanship. The antics on TV were poor sportsmanship coupled with the comments to “agree to disagree” about leaving because I bought the meat, I paid the fee, and it’s my ball and im going home. It’s all in the same context; there is a correlation between the two. To me, it says “we are better than everyone else, so go fark yourself”. We can agree to disagree.

Tough call. I left early from a contest this year to coach my kids little league game. A team-mate did stay for awards. I think its OK once in a great while if discussed with the contest organizer in advance and check in before you leave.

Chris, for the first time I had to leave early this year from a contest. I told the reps and the organizers about it on Friday. I appoligized to them and they said they understood. Does this mean I bad. No just had to go.

that wasn't necessary... I'd take the Slabs in my camp any day. Unless you know them, I wouldn't judge them... Just my opinion...

Trust me, I understand folks points. You did have a team rep for awards. What I have seen is teams leaving because they had a long drive ahead of them. They had to leave to go to another engagement, etc. To me, that doesn't show the contest any respect when it's those kind of reasons. Sponsors support contests and rewards are part of the contest is how I see it. If it wasn't for these sponsors, the contests wouldn't go on. To not have teams there, is a slight... to me at least... :roll:

Then again. Ihave seen a team leave after they realized they weren't going to win the GC. That is just a lack of class to do that... Of course, that is just my opinion as well.

What about when a team leaves prior to awards so they can drive 4-5 hours to go to a Sat-Sunday comp? Just one example.

I don't think we should judge when a member of a team leaves prior to awards. Maybe they had something planned before and the organizer asked them to enter anyway and agreed but said they'd have to leave right after the last turn in. It sure would be nice if they left some team representation there when possible though.

I guess I just don't see a problem if a cook leaves assuming they have a legit reason (leaving cause they are hot and tired or cold and wet wouldn't be a legit reason). However, I do agree it's pretty rude to fold up your lawn chair, walk out and fire up the truck during the awards.

In our case we're talking about 15 minutes more, at the max. As long as the announcer isn't acting like a fool (this has happened) and wasting everyones time I can't see it's any big deal. When I was commuting from San Antonio to Houston area cooks I always waited until the end of awards before hitting the road. That was always between 3-4 hours ride home and awards usually start between 5-5:30pm. Most of the ones I'm complaining about are the ones headed back to camp to drink beer. I'm also one of the first guys out the gate even after awards are all over and congratulations given.

Çan someone explain why it takes over 3 hours to tabulate scores and print them out and organize an awards ceremony?

This is 2010. There's sub-$1,000 laptops out there and with a $150 printer and a pack of paper, you should have the scores tabbed and printed in less than 90 minutes.

I've seen it where the awards started 15-20 minutes late and the hosts/organizers couldn't even hand out the trophies and checks correctly. How hard is it to stack up 5 trophies in 4 stacks? That means there needs to be a chicken, rib, pork and brisket stack.

I can understand why some people have left early. Respect goes both ways. Come Saturday afternoon, most of us have been up with a few naps since early Friday morning. We've got a camp to pack up or have packed up and are ready for a shower, non-BBQ meal, a couch and the remote control.

I do enjoy the awards and even go to comps just to spectate. But it doesn't need to drag on.

I've only done one KCBS comp and as far as I could tell no one left early. :cool:
As far as our PNWBA comps go...we're a pretty close knit bunch up here and tend to stick around and root for our friends and fellow competitors.
:p You'll see a lotta huggin', backslappin', and handshakin' goin' on up here for the winners! :thumb:

I've only done one KCBS comp and as far as I could tell no one left early. :cool:
As far as our PNWBA comps go...we're a pretty close knit bunch up here and tend to stick around and root for our friends and fellow competitors.
:p You'll see a lotta huggin', backslappin', and handshakin' goin' on up here for the winners! :thumb:

Now that's what I want to hear!!:thumb:

And thats the way it should be!:clap2::clap2:

Back