MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dirty Dalmatian Questions..

Sorry if this is already posted but I couldn't find it if it was....

Tomorrow I'm going to do the tri-level rub 1. Lawry 2. Butt Glitter....rest overnight....3. Apply the dirty dalmatian then smoke.

I just had a couple of questions.....I was hoping bbqfunkmasterq(sorry could't remember your name) could respond or anybody else that could help....

1.With the salt component of the dirty dalmatian, can I use large grain sea salt? When I say large grain its like the size of the nerds candy. Very very large. Or should I grind this down more.

2. When I apply the DD, how much on average do you need? I'm doing a 12 lbs brisky so would you say 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup black pep and 1/2 cup lemon pepper would be ok? Should this be applied to all sides even the fat cap? Do you rub it in or just sprinke and hope it sticks.

3. I'm using a WSM and it contains a water pan. Should I pan on adding water or should I just sand the pan.

Thanks a bunch! I will be doing this tomorrow on a 22 wsm, with apple/pecan wood. I'm planning on doing the minion method and will use my guru with ramp mode off. I will start at 225 for 2 hours then increase to 270 for the duration. When tender will wrap in foil and rest in towels in my cooler for 2-3hours.

I will post pictures tomorrow evening.
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I did the Dirty Dalmation rub, I went with kosher salt, I would not go much more than medium grained, but, that is strictly my taste. I now do equal parts kosher salt and medium grind black pepper, 1/2 parts dried orange peel and granulated garlic (not Dirty Dalmation) for my third layer of rub.

Turning on the Barbefunkoramaque light for ya. Hope he responds.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post

Tomorrow I'm going to do the tri-level rub 1. Lawry 2. Butt Glitter....rest overnight....3. Apply the dirty dalmatian then smoke.

I just had a couple of questions.....I was hoping bbqfunkmasterq(sorry could't remember your name) could respond or anybody else that could help....

1.With the salt component of the dirty dalmatian, can I use large grain sea salt? When I say large grain its like the size of the nerds candy. Very very large. Or should I grind this down more.

2. When I apply the DD, how much on average do you need? I'm doing a 12 lbs brisky so would you say 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup black pep and 1/2 cup lemon pepper would be ok? Should this be applied to all sides even the fat cap? Do you rub it in or just sprinke and hope it sticks.

3. I'm using a WSM and it contains a water pan. Should I pan on adding water or should I just sand the pan.

Thanks a bunch! I will be doing this tomorrow on a 22 wsm, with apple/pecan wood. I'm planning on doing the minion method and will use my guru with ramp mode off. I will start at 225 for 2 hours then increase to 270 for the duration. When tender will wrap in foil and rest in towels in my cooler for 2-3hours.

I think you want the salt to be coarseness of Kosher Salt, not overly large.

You will get a better quality bark with sand in the pan in my opinion.

Funk puts a pretty heavy coat of DD to all sides, but 1 1/2 cups should be enough. Pretty easy to mix up some more if you need it. Be careful to keep track of what side the fat cap is on. Fat cap down at first, and flip once if you want to do it the way he does it.

Enjoy the cook. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Unless I am misunderstanding I would agree the large grain sea salt sounds too big. If it is as big as a nerd candy that would be all that I would taste. JMHO

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
landarc

I was thinking it is the Baleine brand that comes in a red cardboard can, or similar, it is very large grained and super crunchy if not broken down in size.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

measuer ur spices on a scale for proper proportions, but i used 6oz lemon pepper, 6oz kosher salt, 5oz black pepper 3/4oz white pepper, 1/4 oz cayenne. Trimmed the hell out of the brisket, no hard fat whatsoever. Injected with beef broth and kosmos. Dried, dusted with lawrys, than dusted with Plowboys bovine bold, rested tightly wrapped in double saran. 5am woke, let meat come to room temp for an hr, liberal coating of DD, on the smoker cold, let come up to 350.....4 hrs later i had the best brisket ive ever made.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all for the advice.

I will post pictures tonight of the final product......weather depending...

It's suppose to be gusty winds over 40 mph plus 8 inches of snow...

wish me luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Look below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post

Yes, for 50 - 100 briskets at a time i don't use it cuz its expensive. Use it and you will see a stronger smoke ring. Large grains as in koshure or sea salt size. There should be no need to grind anything.

Attachment 37002

http://www.youtube.com/user/Popdaddy.../3/DMVK0-aR2sA

Watch video between 2:15 and 4:00. I dress up some CHOICE packers I got for 88 cents a damn pound. Note I dump it. The juice that the lawreys and glitter brings up is enough to make the rub stick. Don't handle it much.

Do it this way first. It the flavor is too much, next time do the same thing JUST rub it in... this knocks off some of the rub and burys the rest in the crevices. Now one thing... yes... get all the areas... i missed edges cuz I am doing like 50 this smoke.

Id Sand it if you use it... then water it next time in that order and let me know how each went. I just got a cheap ass little junk weber that someone threw away and would like to know how this works out.

We need to get people to use more butcher paper.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

a few things about a few things

pepper.... 20 mesh... is the proper size.

Sams - looks like this - http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=45

thats five pounds. Pepper blands out after the end of the cook, provided you don't wrap it until its done.

Salt - koshure in the box is the right size. The salt crystals stay on the meat and slowly dissolve away but slow enough the sodium slowly goes into the meat along with all the flavors of the rub and smoke and meat carmelizations.

Now if I were to place a slow motion camera on the meat and watch those crystals over the process (which never gets mopped or spritzed and thus why i fear high moisture contents) you would see the salt melt like snowflake.

INJECTIONS DISTURB THE PROCESS... ONLY ONE INJECTION I KNOW OF DOES NOT INTERRUPT THE FLAVOR....

Here is the logic of why this should be done without most injections. Salt is a carrier of flavor. The flavor you want deep in your meat is one of salty, beefy, rub type flavor tahat has elements of smoke and the malliard reaction that occurs on browned meat driven inside your meat.

If you artifically inject the typical sodium based beef flavored broth into the meat... then it blocks the carry of the outside flavors. You ensure that what you dDO taste is what you injected. Like I said there is one exception to this rule. It is lost somewhere in this forum is you search for it... just don't blab about it, Verstehen Sie?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Look below

We need to get people to use more butcher paper.
OK just to make you happy I went out and bought some butcher paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunko

ramaque;1174921

INJECTIONS DISTURB THE PROCESS... ONLY ONE INJECTION I KNOW OF DOES NOT INTERRUPT THE FLAVOR....

It is lost somewhere in this forum is you search for it... just don't blab about it, Verstehen Sie?
I found your invisible injection recipe yesterday buried in a thread. When would you use this? It sounds interesting though.

Briskys on the smoker I will post pictures later tonight.

Thanks for your tutorial!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

pm me

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
pm me
ok....pm sent

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Ok so I did my brisket last night and it turned out great!!

I did the tri-level rub, smoked with apple, cooked at 220 for first 2 hrs then ramped to about 300 for the duration with no foil in site. Sanded the water pan. This brisket was about 10 lbs. It went on at 145pm and was off the smoker at 1045. Took off at about 203F....probe tender. I let it rest for about 1 hr wrapped in paper wrapped in towels in a cooler. I was going to let it rest longer but it was getting late. As you can see in the pics, my cutting look like crap because I couldn't find my good knife and since the baby was asleep, I couldn't use the electric knife. Oh well, still tasted great. I would say in my limitied brisket cooking experience, this was the best I've had. Definitly a method I'll add to my list!

Last edited by Three porks; 07-29-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Oh man! Looks like you nailed it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
MilitantSquatter

looks fantastic....

a top, quality brisket right there for sure !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote