MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoking my first Ribs

Hey Gang, in two days i will be smoking some St. Louse Style spare ribs. Ive done ribs many many times however ive never smoked them. I plan on using this method http://tvwbb.com/images/2010tvwbharrysoo.pdf. 3,2,1 method? I will have 3 full slabs from costco on a rib rack, I would like to smoke it in my vertical cabinet smoker however the rib rack doesnt fit inside so ill have to use my weber 22" kettle, half will be the coals the other half the ribs. I plan on using about 3 chunks of apple wood. What do you guys think. I would really appreciate any feedback, i dont want to screw this up as im having guests over .
Thank you.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

If you feel more comfortable using the vertical smoker, don't be afraid to cut the slabs in half.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I find 2 hours in foil to be too much. I usually have to take them out of foil after an hour or they will become fall off the bone.
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Smokeass
Knows what a fatty is.

+1 with tduffy, however a lot of (weird) people do like fall off the bone style. Good Luck!!
16' Homemade comp trailer, [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red]Pitmaker BBQ Safe[/COLOR][/FONT], Homemade offset patio smoker, 22" Weber Kettle, [COLOR=magenta]Proud owner of the ugliest UDS Ever aka. Frank.[/COLOR]
Smokeass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

I agree, i plan on smoking maybe 2 1/2 hours, foiling for 1hr, then having it on the grill for another 30-45 min? how does that sound. Ya im still not sure if i should use the cabinet smoker or the weber.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
charray
On the road to being a farker

Harry Soo has won a lot of contests with a variation of Johnny Trigg's original 3=2-1 method. I've taken both there classes. You should be fine as long as you don't over foil (more than an hour). However, when its back on the grill don't go by time but when there done by either how they bend or a toothpick goes easily between the bones

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Smokeass
Knows what a fatty is.

Everyone has their own opinoins about cooking temps, I personaly like 250 for pork spare ribs. I've only ever used my weber for very high temp cooks. I'm curious if you can hold 250 for a long period of time on a weber ketle.
16' Homemade comp trailer, [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red]Pitmaker BBQ Safe[/COLOR][/FONT], Homemade offset patio smoker, 22" Weber Kettle, [COLOR=magenta]Proud owner of the ugliest UDS Ever aka. Frank.[/COLOR]

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charray View Post
Harry Soo has won a lot of contests with a variation of Johnny Trigg's original 3=2-1 method. I've taken both there classes. You should be fine as long as you don't over foil (more than an hour). However, when its back on the grill don't go by time but when there done by either how they bend or a toothpick goes easily between the bones
Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeass View Post
Everyone has their own opinoins about cooking temps, I personaly like 250 for pork spare ribs. I've only ever used my weber for very high temp cooks. I'm curious if you can hold 250 for a long period of time on a weber ketle.
Is it not do-able? is that why your asking

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Smokeass
Knows what a fatty is.

V-wiz, yes that is what I was asking, it may be a dumb question, but I have never tried it on a weber ketle.

Last edited by Smokeass; 08-28-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
ksu1971
On the road to being a farker

You can hold the temps on a kettle. I have smoked butts and ribs. Use then Minion method and you should be fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys, so burry unlit coals and add a few lit coals along with wood chunks? Sound right? Fyi i will be using mesquite charcoal.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Thanks guys, so burry unlit coals and add a few lit coals along with wood chunks? Sound right? Fyi i will be using mesquite charcoal.
Personal suggestion would be not to use mesquite with pork. I would go with regular briquets or lump charcoal and either hickory or apple wood chunks or a mix of both.
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Personal suggestion would be not to use mesquite with pork. I would go with regular briquets or lump charcoal and either hickory or apple wood chunks or a mix of both.
I have a 40 pound bag ofthe mesquite charcoal ive been using, i dont think it leaves off a mesquite taste/smell, however i have not really tried other coals for a while. I know using mesquite wood chunks are no good on pork but didnt think the coals would be an issue?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
richardnoodle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

our teams uses 2-1-1 on a WSM with great results. We tried 3-2-1 a couple of times, ribs way over done. Its gonna be trail and error with what ever youre cooking on. Good luck!
richardnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote