MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting story, in my research, I have dug up a very popular NY BBQ cook that lived in the late 19th century. He was very well known in the South for his barbecue but not so much in NY.

I may write about him sometime soon.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Hi Joe,
First - props for insisting that people leave the meat alone and in particular not to mash it.

I thought your delivery and manner flowed well once you got started. Instructions were clear and understandable.

Not so good parts - 45 seconds before you actually provided any good information. Your lead in was entertaining but when I'm searching youtube for information, I'm not looking for entertainment.

Your camera man needs to try harder to avoid jerky camera movement.

I am not a videographer nor do I have a youtube channel or brand, but you asked for impressions and that's what I'm offering.

Good lick with your endeavor!
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Hi Joe,
First - props for insisting that people leave the meat alone and in particular not to mash it.

I thought your delivery and manner flowed well once you got started. Instructions were clear and understandable.

Not so good parts - 45 seconds before you actually provided any good information. Your lead in was entertaining but when I'm searching youtube for information, I'm not looking for entertainment.

Your camera man needs to try harder to avoid jerky camera movement.

I am not a videographer nor do I have a youtube channel or brand, but you asked for impressions and that's what I'm offering.

Good lick with your endeavor!
Great, thanks, I'm definitely looking for constructive criticism.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good luck.Couple of good tips interspersed in there somewhere. Will not fit all but has it's place.Thanks for the time and effort.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, I enjoyed it. A mix of humor and grilling. I particularly enjoyed the bleep outs. Kinda real life stuff at a tail gate.

So, I would call that a great first step on cooking burgers. So, next step could be what you do to/with them to make them f(bleep)arking awesome. Grilled onions, peppers, shrooms? Can't wait to see!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
Lupus
Found some matches.

Cool video. I am still trying to replicate some of the great burgers I had in the US. For some reason, most of the burgers I have had back home are solid and dry pucks. And your video gives a possible reason. Now if I can impart that information to the resident "grill king", my father in law.

According to him, no one does the grill better than him, but everything comes out overcooked and dry. And now I know why. He has the patience of a gnat and has to constantly fiddle with the meat!

Thanks again
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #22
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
Cool video. I am still trying to replicate some of the great burgers I had in the US. For some reason, most of the burgers I have had back home are solid and dry pucks. And your video gives a possible reason. Now if I can impart that information to the resident "grill king", my father in law.

According to him, no one does the grill better than him, but everything comes out overcooked and dry. And now I know why. He has the patience of a gnat and has to constantly fiddle with the meat!

Thanks again
Thanks, I'd bet a bag of Darrell Lea licorice that he is mashing the burger down while cooking it.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #23
Lupus
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Thanks, I'd bet a bag of Darrell Lea licorice that he is mashing the burger down while cooking it.
A man who know his sweets :)

And yes, more than likely, he constantly adjusts the meat and we get some impressive fat fires when he is at work. I cannot confirm the press as if I hang around, I get the lecture on how good his barbecuing skills are.......and, being one who loves to "inspire debate", I can't help but give him the difference between barbecue and grilling. :) and the wife is NOT impressed when I stir the old man up, as he does not stop at meat when "inspired" ;)
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Actually, those burgers you are seeing there are the best burgers you can get your hands on. I work with the great people over at Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors, who are easily the best meat guys in NY. They are the meat behind almost every great burger in NY. You can google them and see what I mean.

We get a chuck/short rib/brisket blend. These burgers are made to order. I place my order Thursday, they grind them up and form them Friday(their production is closed Saturday) for a Sunday AM party. They are formed to my specs, I order 6 or 7 oz burgers depending on my menu, formed a little thinner than their standard thickness to aid in quick grilling. It is a coarse grind and lightly packed burger, so it comes out super juicy and melts in your mouth. They charge me the same whether they form them for me or send me bulk meat. I packed some myself, really no difference. When I need them for longer term storage they even cryopac them in 4--to-a-cup cryopacs.
Well then I apologize. I am familiar with Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors, though I have never purchased their product due to cost. Those are some expensive burgers at nearly $13.33/lb.

Nice video and looking forward to seeing more.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Well then I apologize. I am familiar with Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors, though I have never purchased their product due to cost. Those are some expensive burgers at nearly $13.33/lb.

Nice video and looking forward to seeing more.
No need to apologize, generally i would agree with you. I pay less than that as I have a wholesale account with them, no way I could afford 150lbs at a clup at those prices, lol.
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I really like the vidoe you hit all the high point.

1.) Don't Fark with your Meat
2.) Flip it once
3.) Don't mash the farker down
4.) Don't over think it.it's a farking burger JEEZ

Great. The one thing I hate about how to videos is the looooong intros. They must think they are talking to morons who have never cooked, used a grill and what not. Get in, show the chit, and get out. Good job. The humor was stellar. When I show folks how I do it I usually tell them when the juice is bubbling on the top then it's ready for the flip. The other thing is good meat and loose pack. You nailed it Joe
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Wetsmoke
On the road to being a farker

Default Tailgate Joe

You have a great delivery style, you get right to the "story" and tell it well. I also enjoy the bleeps in your presentation, it makes it a little more real to me.
Wetsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsmoke View Post
You have a great delivery style, you get right to the "story" and tell it well. I also enjoy the bleeps in your presentation, it makes it a little more real to me.
Thank you, that is EXACTLY what I was going for with the beeps.

I am trying to balance my demos between getting the info out there as quickly and efficiently as possible while still trying to inject some personality and entertainment value. Both those goals can be at odds if not balanced out, that is what I am trying to learn.

BTW, appreciate the views guys, bumping up my youtube stats. Feel free to check out a few others on my channel, and subscribing. My Whole Tenderloin is the first one i did, it is a little long but I had a lot of stuff to cover there with breaking down the cut and then explaining direct/indirect grilling.
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

btw, if anyone else has a youtube channel post a link, I'll be happy to give some comment love and subscribe.
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]