Brisket, turn in from the point end of the flat?

littleben

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses the back end of the flat to cut there turn in slices? It's a little more course, but has more fat and is generally more loose or tender? I know all this comp stuff is a secret, but give a newbie a hint on this.

Take your slices from the flat, and use the "point" for making those beautiful burnt ends to put in the box!

I think he means taking slices from the flat, but from the back part of the flat that is by the point.

I'm not great brisket cook, but I take slices from whatever side of the flat is more tender. It can go either way for me.

We always test both ends of the flat for taste and tenderness. The point end is most often the best, but not always, so you should check.

I use the flat...the point seems to have lots of fat veins in it, which look bad when slice...I cut it up and use it to make burnt ends..

We always test both ends of the flat for taste and tenderness. The point end is most often the best, but not always, so you should check.

This is exactly what we do, and hopefully the best slices will be from the flat closest to the point. Thicker and look better in the box, but if the other end tastes better and is more tender, we use that. This is why we cook 2 briskets. You just never know how each will turn out even if cooked the same and in the same cooker.

Ditto what Jacked Up said. Wherever the best seven or eight slices come from is what gets turned in. Typically, that's from the flat right beneath the point. There's s nice thick layer of fat between the two muscles that seems to keep that part of the flat the tenderest and most juicy. But then my brisket seldom makes t out of the middle of the pack, so take me with a grain of salt

Usually someplace in the middle of the flat. Too dry toward the skinny end most of the time.

Ron

As far as burnt ends go, how long before turn-in do you folks usually separate the point/flat in order to make the burnt ends? Do you separate them right when the flat is done (~200°) or do you let the packer rest awhile before you split it?

I separate the point and flat when I put it in the cooler to rest. The flat gets rewrapped and the point gets cut up and put back in the smoker in a covered foil pan with the rest of the drippings to braise for a while.

Back